Fall fishing and tropical systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall fishing and tropical systems

As August comes to an end we are entering the fall fishing season- normally (if there is such a thing) we have the best fishing potential of the year- the fall migration. This year has been anything but normal...wet, stormy...extremes in weather has had an impact on water quality, salinity, turbidity, pollution...You name it, we got it! And in spite of (or maybe because of it) we have had a resurgence of Speckled Trout and a return of young, immature redfish in Southern Maryland waters. Today we have a robust tropical system (Laura) merging with a strong low pressure system/cold front bringing stormy weather and heavy thunderstorms to our region...kayak fishermen who can only fish on weekends are severely disadvantaged by windy, stormy weather limiting their fall fishing opportunities...even us retired old farts are having a tough time squeezing out a few good trips in an entire month. There are two more tropical waves developing right now in the Atlantic that will eventually affect Maryland fishing. The storms have devastated and washed out some major roadways and bridges in St. Mary’s County near Leonardtown...Route 5 between Route 235 and Leonardtown has been closed to all but local traffic for weeks from the last floods and storms...Going to St.Mary’s College and St. George’s Island has been a “work around” of taking the back roads off of Route 235...We fished this week and the water was finally much less cloudy than before...but now comes a influx of storm water...what will this weekend’s storm do to next week’s fishing? And a much bigger question is what will the peak hurricane month of September bring to our fall fishing? Tropical systems from long, hot summer droughts were a welcome respite in years past and were thought to help fishing by stirring things up...but too much of a good thing? We are living in challenging times and writing a new chapter- good luck to all and tight lines, my friends...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I think white perch fishing here in the mid-Bay region has been a little off on most of my August outings due to our incessant rain and pervasive heat. It has certainly made it harder to catch them on the fly in our turbid water. Noisy spinners have helped to get their attention. But other than one day in the month when I brought 39 into the boat, I cannot say I've enjoyed stellar white perch fishing.

Most certainly our coming storms will impact our tidal fishing and maybe not for the better -- unless they push and hold bait fish and their predators into our local creeks. Think positive!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I drove by St. Mary's College on the way into work this morning, the river is ugly. Very muddy and next level stained. I passed many recently downed trees and encountered standing or moving water across the road. Route 5 was closed in Great Mills at Indian Bridge Road, as the St. Mary's River flooded there. It's going to be an interesting fall. Tight lines and stay safe out.
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
      X