Nanjemoy Suggesstions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanjemoy Suggesstions

Good evening everyone. I have been off the board for 3 weeks with Covid. Last few days symptom free, thank goodness.and expecting negative test results back tomorrow. I am joining a retreat in Nanjemoy in two weeks. Any ideas on what to fish for or fish with? I am not sure if there are stripers, or perch, or is it more bass and catfish?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

UnkleRob2020

I've caught stripers at the mouth in the fall there. There are some humps that hold fish and some rockpiles around channel markers. Up in the creek I would imagine it's mostly catfish and perch with maybe bass and snakehead when you get into the fresher water. Good luck and glad to hear you are ok!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Glad to hear that you are getting better.

LM Bass and Snakeheads up in the creek. It has been years since I fished there (pre-Snakehead days). Spinnerbaits and Rattletraps were the ticket. I targeted fallen trees near the launch, and grass banks and docks. I did not do very well, as I recall.

(BTW, that missing package of lures has now made 17 different stops in the past month. It is supposed to be in Beltsville, but has been intercepted and is supposed to be returned to me.)

Comment

Mallows Bay is full of “structures” much of which is underwater...paddle kayaks are much less susceptible to damages from the underwater obstructions than peddle yaks. Snakeheads, Bass, catfish are caught there by anglers who navigate the maze of old hulks of ships. I have been there once...scenic place, Eagles, Ospreys, Terns and gulls are there..
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Continued success in your COVID recovery.

I have visited Mallows Bay only once. It's a unique place with an interesting history of abandoned ships. Those ship remnants are the structures Ron mentioned. Indeed, I left my Hobie home and brought a paddle kayak. It's not a place to pedal. The exposed old rotting wood and rusty spikes were daunting. I was wondering what I would have done had a spike settled into a scupper.

Here are a few photos:

B.jpg C.jpg

Those structures attract fish, of course. You'll have plenty of targets for your casts.

Nearby there are more traditional fishy areas:

E.jpg D2.jpg

Enjoy your trip.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

17 stops, huh? Thanks Bignose. Man, I gotta tell you....your spinners are the stuff. As a vet and generally not terrible person I will be happy to support Heroes on the Water if you do it this coming season. I have distributed half the lures you gave me. They work too well for me to be ok hording them. I will be ready for another shipment anytime.

I have been very impressed with the way the lures hold up...in particular the skirts can get damaged by fish but one or two casts and they straighten right out. Good stuff.

Comment

Fished Nanjamoy a lot and it can be good to awful depending on the tide. High to low is the best.. good LGMouth and few snakehead also. Perch fishing can be awesome at times..

Not easy to figure out but worth the TOW.

Capt Mike

Comment

Working...
              X