Severn Slam plus a speck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Slam plus a speck

I had been out of town for a while and had not fished in 10 days. I headed out to a Severn tributary this morning to see if the fish were still biting. The first lure I threw got no bites, but as soon as I switched to my trusty jighead and 12 Fathom Fat Sam mullet 3" paddletail combo, the fish were interested. In the first three casts, I caught a striper, a large white perch, and a pickerel to complete my Severn Slam on consecutive casts in the same spot.

20 minutes later, I caught an uncommon visitor to Severn waters -- a small speckled trout.

2020-09-07-001.jpg

I usually catch just one of these each year in the Severn -- usually during September. Although my 2020 speck was just a little guy (10”), it demonstrates the potential diversity of species found in my local waters. During the past two months in this same tributary, I have caught stripers, white perch, pickerel, speckled trout, puppy drum, and channel catfish. In other Severn tributaries, I also caught yellow perch, pumpkinseed sunfish, spot, croaker, and snakehead.
    Most of my kayak fishing outings in the Severn give me 2 to 3 hours on the water. Given the higher-than-normal abundance of pickerel this summer, I have caught more Severn Slams (striper, perch, pickerel in the same trip) this summer than in all previous summers combined.

One reason the paddletail was successful this morning was that it "matched the hatch". I found a similar-sized young menhaden (peanut bunker) floating on the surface. The photo shows how the paddletail mimics the baitfish.

2020-09-07-004.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,

I enjoyed your report. I am thinking of heading to the Severn tomorrow (Tuesday).

Still trying to fit Hoopers Islands in this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

This is a great report! Glad to know there are some specs around. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicole View Post
        This is a great report! Glad to know there are some specs around. Thanks for sharing!

That was in early Sept. The only species I have found in the Severn in December is pickerel. I am eager for next summer already.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I think we all are! I’d be happy to fish for anything at this point. Desperately got to find myself a new fishing partner for next year. LOL.

Comment

Working...
          X