Drum in the Pax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum in the Pax

Was out on the kayaks with my wife this morning for a casual paddle around. Took a rod and a white curly-tail grub with me, because why not. To my surprise, I landed a nice 10" red drum and lost another couple of them, all tight to the weeds in shallow water. This was all a little ways upstream of King's Landing! I did not expect them to be that far upstream but I've only been on the Pax for four or so years. Is this unusual to find them so far up the river? Surely they don't spend the winter there?

I have been catching 12-14" Puppy Drum (Reds) at Brooms island consistently the last few weeks.
    I live 1/8 mile from the pax at lower Marlboro, and have been out there a few time with no drum caught.
    about 5 years ago I did catch a few around lower marlboro.
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Oh, we're almost neighbors! I'm not far off lower marlboro rd too.

I might try lower marlboro later this week, just to see what's out there. I guess conditions have to be just right for the drum to be happy in the Pax, and apparently right now they are. I've spent many hours fishing those weeds without so much as a bite, so to get three hits in a very short window must say something. I'm sure it won't last.

Comment

Yeah,
        we fished launching from Lower Marlboro most of June-July, with not much more than catfish.
        Switched to Brooms Island with MUCH better results.
        From rt4 to Kings Landing is a dead zone as far as I am concerned, unless baitfishing for catfish.
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Let me know when you are going

Originally posted by SpaceCadet View Post
          Oh, we're almost neighbors! I'm not far off lower marlboro rd too.

I might try lower marlboro later this week, just to see what's out there. I guess conditions have to be just right for the drum to be happy in the Pax, and apparently right now they are. I've spent many hours fishing those weeds without so much as a bite, so to get three hits in a very short window must say something. I'm sure it won't last.
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
            Let me know when you are going
            Will do! It was going to be tomorrow, but now I've looked at the weather forecast... Saturday might be my next shot.

I've never been to Broome's Island - is there room for a trailer, or is it cartop/truck bed only?

Comment

Working...
            X