9/12 outing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/12 outing

Went out out my usual spot with my oldest a 12 year old son. We decided yesterday to do a sunrise trip and was able to get on the water by 7. We decided to leave the bettle spin at home and just go for rock. Having no luck with the WP last Saturday morning we just trolled swimbaits. We headed out to the coast guard area with no luck. Lots of birds but no hits. I brought the Garmin and didn't see much. This is the first trip I have brought it out in a while. We kept going to the rail bridge with no strikes as well. The wind was blowing harder then I thought but we did ok. We got past the old turn bridge and decided to rest and check out his gear. The had bad line twist I'm guessing from somewhere along the line the tail got on the hook and was spinning. I stripped the line out and retied. As we were sitting there gulls started working hard and fish were hitting on top all around us. The Garmin showed markings all through the 20ft of water. They were all around us. I casted out and quickly hooked up. Just a little guy. Again a quick cast and another. At this point Im dying for my son to hook up. He was having issue with the reel as well. Since he took it to NC and did some salt water with it and didn't wash it out good the reel was pretty rough. We decided to troll again as the fish seemed to move on and with his reel being trashed. Casting and reeling was rough. Shortly after we start he is hit. Again nothing to brag about but I'm excited he is hooked up. As we continue to 695 he hooked up again. This time nothing big but as he picked the fish up with the rod he snapped the tip. Instead of losing it I tried to use this as a learning experience. I taught him my routine in landing a fish so u can get them close enough to land with out losing or breaking your rod. I was trolling two baitcasters and was nervous to give him one for the first time but wanted to continue on. He got use to the controls and we continued to the bridge with no hits. Just to show how much a difference in presentation can make I was trolling a 4.5 swing impact Kietech with a 1/8 weighted underspin while he was trolling a 1/4 Jighead with a 4" shad kietech. I did have hits but no hook ups. Having the Garmin I was able to call to him to be ready for a strike. It was pretty cool being able call it out. As we continued back he was able to get a total of 9 for the day. I had a great day out there with him for 4 hours. Both exhausted from the wind and boats beating us up we relaxed the rest of the afternoon. Slow start but a great time with the big guy. Dealing with an hour of fishless paddling, dealing with non stop wind, terrible gear issues, and also four hours on the water he was just the best about it all. I hope I can keep this fishing partner for life.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Working...
X