Sunday Slower Lower report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Slower Lower report

Yak 67 and I wanted a nice mess of fish for a fish fry, so early this morning we launched into the St Mary's River to search for big White Perch. I was slow trolling Capt. Bert's Perch Pounders dressed with zoom curlytail trailer. One was white and the other was chartreuse. Did not take long to get the skunk off with a school striper landed...then the first of 14 puppy drum I caught and released- the biggest a tad over 15 inches...over the next couple of hours I landed dozens of white perch with the biggest 12 1/8 inch but all I kept were 10 inch minimum...13 on the stringer...it was a four species day. Lizardfish, redfish, striped bass and jumbo White Perch...Gary had a cooler full at the launch, but I threw six more in his cooler bag and took seven home...they made a nice bag of skinless, boneless filets...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron, nice report. Hauling firewood today, so no fishing for me. Hope to get out there tomorrow!
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

It was a Good Morning with Ron. I got a ST Mary's slam with a quartet of 6-inch fish lol Redish, Flounda, WP and schoolie rock. I thought I had snag some grass/debris and pulled up a 2-inch Flounder, LOL. They are little Gangsters, how he was going to swallow that perch pounder and curly tail I'll never know. Hitting the fall pattern now, nice cool mornings are a treat.

Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Good work guys. Your range of species at the moment is outstanding. Enjoy the fishing.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I made two trips to Southern MD to fish over the summer. I found out the hard way that the best bite was the first hour or two after sunrise. Is that still the case, or have things loosened up a bit?
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Things have started to "Loosen Up" John, we launched at 7am, Ron wanted 8, I like 6am so we split the difference. The bite was fine from 7am right until we quit, Ron was still catching. A surprise rain shower got us at 1030am and we quit, but a nice bite overall.

Yak67
            2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
            2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

John-I fish the same waters, but primarily in the afternoon and evenings. In the last three weeks we have made mid day forays with success. Though, the mornings and evenings have been most productive.
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

John- i like to fish the tides-Find that moving water is the ticket around structure. The seasonal change is on- water temp was 78 degrees and getting cooler everyday. Fish are feeding up for the annual migration, so the rules are changing. Daylight still is king, but good fishing continues after first light.

And I don't "just troll" with the rods sitting in a holder. I hold a rod and give it an intermittent twitch, yo-yoing occasionally. Each lure has its own "sweet spot" as far as trolling speed and action. Capt Bert's Perch Pounder is very sensitive to trolling speed.It likes slow speeds. I like the 3/16 one with gold blade, but inventory is low every where- A large CNR took my last one yesterday and the Tackle Box did not have any. So I now have the 1/8 oz. ones. It is a very versatile lure that catches more than just White Perch as was evidenced in me catching 14 redfish yesterday on mine.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron,

I didn't fish tidal water often until until I got into kayak fishing.

I knew how fish related to current from wading freshwater rivers. I soon learned tidal fish behaved similarly. They usually face into the current waiting for food to pass by on the current. They also look for structure to both block the current giving them a place to rest and to provide a hiding place for potential meals.

The difference in tidal fishing as opposed to fishing a freshwater river is that our current changes direction here in the Mid-Bay with two highs and two lows each day. The water flow is not as intense for each change nor are the highs and lows the same each day of the month. But if you can time your outings on those changes, your chances for success improve. If you pay attention to the direction of flow, you'll also know which side of structure to approach with your casts.

It's rare to have good tidal fishing on a slack tide.

What I also learned from kayak angling is that even freshwater ponds have a flow. The fish in the pond relate to that moving water. If you can find a feeder stream, where that stream empties into the pond is usually a good place to target. The flow may be minimal. But the water is moving water and fish like it.

Just another thing to keep in mind on outings. Moving water is good water to fish.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ron, sounds like a great trip! When you fish St. Mary's River do you launch at the little spot in Great Mills or somewhere further downriver? I just learned of this spot in Great Mills the other day and am looking forward to launching there. It looks like it would be very similar to launching at McIntosh Run, a fun 2.5 mile paddle starting in a small stream through the woods that gradually transitions to a marsh and then open tidal water.
                    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
                    X