Mid-Morning on the Magothy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Morning on the Magothy

A little over a week ago, my son settled on a house in a water-priviliged community on Cockey Creek off of the Magothy River. The community has a picnic area and boat launch for residents. Now that the hustle and bustle of the move is finally over and he can relax, we decided to explore the creek late this morning on a falling tide.

He used my Ultimate 12 and I paddled my Ultimate FX. Our primary goal was pickerel any and holdover perch we could find. We each tossed my homemade 1/8 oz. jig spinners. He caught a little 16 inch pickerel almost immediately -- too soon, I told him. It could bring "bad luck" to catch a fish so fast on an outing, I joked. And for a while that seemed true. We paddled to the very end of the creek with no more bites.

Here he is turning around at the back of the creek in less than 6 inches of water:

A.jpg

The creek is beautiful, by the way. There are areas toward the back end with natural shoreline as well as plenty of boat docks to target with casts.

We headed toward the mouth of the creek. That was not easy given the wind was blowing pretty hard right into our faces. All the flags we saw were like this:

P1060180 (2).jpg

However, we slipped into coves and cuts wherever we could to get leeside protection while we cast. We each hooked pickerel along the way however the bad luck I predicted almost came to pass. My son caught another pickerel. I should add that my son has only been kayak fishing a few times with me. He's a real novice kayak angler.

With my coaching and fish grips he managed to get the pickerel onto the Hawg Trough. It measured 21.5 inches and it was fat. Very respectable. Then all hell broke loose. I forgot to tell him to keep a hand on it prior to the photo. The pickerel flipped and flopped and wreaked havoc in the boat. My son's rod went overboard in the tussle. (Didn't we just have a session this forum about rod floats and leashes?)

Anyway, I have no photo of that pickerel. I was hooked up with one myself while the battle played out in my son's kayak. Our attention turned to retrieving his rod. We were in about 3 feel of water near a shoreline. I was tying a heavy jig on my rod to drag the bottom for his. My son meanwhile jabbed his paddle into the bottom until he felt his rod. Then he decided to jump in (he's over 6 feet tall and the water was barely to his waist). He retrieved it. Mission accomplished. Presumably our luck would turn for the better. And it did.

Soon thereafter, he got this bend in his rod:

B.jpg

The Ultimate was actually pointed toward the shore to the left of the photo when he hooked up. That fish was heading for deeper water.

Here it was after a short battle:

P1060179 (3).jpg

Again, a very respectable catch...and on a perch spinner.

We still had some distance to go to reach the mouth of the creek. In fact, I commented it was odd that we hadn't caught any perch. Just then we got into a school of them. Here's one of mine. Nothing especially large, but fun, of course:

P1060182.jpg

That particular spinner has caught nearly 100 perch so far this year plus two channel cats (in the Severn), small stripers (in the Bodkin), a 13 inch redfish recently (in Church Creek), pickerel today but its next catch surprised me the most.

A bluegill:

P1060184 (2).jpg

Sorry the photo is a little fuzzy. It has been a long time since I've caught a tidal bluegill.

If that wasn't surprise enough, I think the next fish I hooked may have been a largemouth bass. It got off at the side of the boat but I'm pretty sure I saw a dark lateral line on the fish.

So, can anyone confirm that there are largemouth bass in Magothy Creeks? I'd appreciate an answer.

Anyway, my son and I had a nice outing today on his new home creek. The first of many for him I hope. I'm pretty sure there will be a fishing kayak in his future.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great report! I’ve been killing it on the Magothy and in local creeks/coves lately, too. The middle of the river south of Ferry Point is producing keeper size rock fish. I pulled a 26”, 7-pound, catfish out of CoolSpring Cove yesterday. Crabs have been everywhere. I’m heading out this evening. It’s windy, but not much chop on the water so it should be pleasant to fish.

Comment

Glad you and your son got out today. The Magothy is an untapped resource due to the lack of launch areas. Know you enjoyed the morning.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Congratulations on a very productive day in new waters. You now have additional access to the Magothy, which traditionally has been very good pickerel habitat.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great report.

I had a lady friend who had a house on Cockey Creek and fished it several times launching from her yard.
          Unfortunately, she's gone now, and I no longer have access.
          My second largest pickerel was caught up in Old Man Creek, many years ago. Now i'm the old man.
          The wind kept me off the water today.

Comment

Great report and fun pics. The situation with the pickerel is exactly what I've been afraid of, but at least your son found the rod. Would live to try out the Magothy since it's a little closer to home than the Severn, but the lack of launch points is holding me back. My wife was actually talking to her realtor friend about some land for sale right on the water - ("and you can just put a shed on it for your fishing gear for now till we're ready to build") - but it's still a little $ for my blood at the moment.

Comment

Excellent report Mark. Glad you have another access point to a very nice body of water. I have yet to explore around the Cockey Creek area but its on my short list of places to visit on the Magothy. Very nice variety of fish in those pictures. Glad you and your son were able to spend some quality father/son time on the water catching fish.

As far as if there are any largemouth in the Magothy, I did see a video posted a while back where the guy that posted the video caught 1 on the headwater side of the bridge further up the river. Fish was only about 10-12" in the video. Makes sense since the water up that end of the river is fed by the freshwater overflow from Lake Waterford.
              PASADENA
              2018 VIBE SEA GHOST 130- TEAM ORANGE

INSTAGRAM - @duff_dynasty1

Comment

Thanks all.

We're fortunate here in AA County with so many rivers and creeks to fish. I find that each seems prettier than the last when I'm on it. I live between the Patpasco and the Magothy on the Pasadena Peninsula . I can tell when its a foggy morning or evening without looking out of a window because I hear the ships sounding their foghorns in the Patapsco. The Severn is just a short drive away too. I cross the Magothy at Beachwood Park to get there.

DuffDynasty -- Thank you for addressing my question. I'm reasonably certain I had a LM bass on the line. Its lateral line was distinct and its mouth was large relative to its size. The fish itself was small at maybe 10 or 12 inches. Plus I hooked it in the same spot where I caught the bluegill.

Later that very evening, the president and VP of the Magothy River Association (MGA) http://www.magothyriver.org/ addressed the Free State Fly Fishers https://fs-ff.com/ via Zoom. The MGA reps gave an excellent talk on their organization's conservation activities. They also addressed the annual yellow perch spawn in the upper end of the Magothy. One of the conditions for yellow perch to spawn is fresh water. The falling salinity of the Magothy as it progresses upriver obviously meets that requirement. It would most certainly also sustain LM bass.
                Last edited by Mark; 10-09-2020, 09:03 AM.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Magothy is beautiful. Especially the upper area passed the magothy bridge is worth exploring. It sucks that there is no public launch middle/upper section of the water though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

Working...
                  X