Piney Point Giveth and Taketh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point Giveth and Taketh

Fished Piney Point today with Ron and Mojopod. We went to a spot that’s been producing but there was very little tide moving and we quickly went to plan B. Doug got called home for school computer problems as we Transitioned to the grass flats in the creek, put on 1/8th oz jigheads since water was only 3’ deep and Zman trout tricks in Sexy Mullet and Creole Croaker. Very quickly we started catching monster perch. We both caught at least a dozen with the smallest being 10” and up to 12”. Neither one of us has ever seen anything like it.

But we weren’t there for perch, we wanted rocks, specks and maybe a drum. After a bit Ron found a beautiful 19” drum.

He put it on the stringer and started drooling about the blackened redfish he was having for dinner. Maybe 10 minutes later he lands an 18” speck. As he pulls up the stringer, it breaks and his drum is gone (sadly with the clasp attached). The Beach Boys said big girls don’t cry but nothing about a fisherman losing his dinner.

Over the next 2 hours we caught a steady mix of stripers up to 24”, trout up to 19”, and the big perch. I was at my fishing limit and left Ron still catching stripers and small drum. I shared a rockfish with a friend and we’re having trout for dinner. Really hope Delta doesn’t mess things up too bad when it passes through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

You should have stayed a bit longer Mike- southern Maryland Super Slam...it was epic!Reds, specks, 24 1/2 inch striper and unbelievable perch action...Every cast...and you were mad when a 12 inch perch ate the lure away from 20 something stripers...and big Specks...3 reds, 6 specks, at least a dozen stripers over 20...wahoo!

The 24 1/2 striper was like a fat torpedo...it was "thick!" Big head, big shoulders..And I thought it was much bigger than it was...fought its butt off! When I pulled it in the cockpit, I was looking for the other fish that had kicked my butt! On light spinning gear they put on a show! I kept an 18 and a 19 inch speck for supper...everything else was released or in the case of my only legal keeper redfish this year, escaped!
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-09-2020, 01:17 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great work guys. It is almost enough to tempt me to do the two-hour drive again.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Excellent work, that sounds like a blast!
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Working...
        X