First time on the Severn 10/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time on the Severn 10/20

With a foggy morning I waited a while to go out. "Best fishing times" was 2-4ish so headed out in the afternoon. As I arrived the water looked nice and calm and the wind was light. Another kayaker was coming in and showed me where to launch from since this was my first time at Jonas. On the water by 11:55. I really didn't know where to go so I just went straight across to what looked like a creek mouth. As I trolled there I didn't mark much. As I got to the shallow water across the way I started to reel in my lighter rod to cast around the piers over there when I got hit. First hook up. This was also the first fish on the combo I bought to replace the one my son snapped. He pulled hard on the 8lb line and was a nice 15" football. I casted around that area so more with no luck. I decided to head towards the academy. As I trolled that way the wind started to pick up, as well as boat traffic. I marked several areas that looked like large bait balls but no hits. I kept going out further marking fish with no luck. I crossed back over to the launch side chasing birds but again no luck. Bouncing, dodging boats and fighting current and wind I decided to head back towards the park. As I drifted/ paddled back I got into some heavy marks and decided to try and sit on it and stop trolling. I tried a different techniques. The only bite was on casting then making hard snaps back to the yak. So I got one more little guy landed. I was still trying to fish the "best times" and didn't want to give up. As I marked fish I would try and sit on them again. This started to get pretty sketchy with waves increasing, heavy boat traffic and now the navy ships practicing I was taking waves over the front and sides. I decided enough was enough and packed it in. With 2 fish on a new body I was still pretty happy. Not sure how many outings I have left this year so was glad to get out and finish with something different.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Working...
X