nearly a Chesapeake fall slam for the weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nearly a Chesapeake fall slam for the weekend

After returning home from the boat show today, I had a choice of working at the computer, mowing the lawn, or taking the kayak out. Given those choices, I took the kayak out. The wind was howling this afternoon. I fished in a sheltered creek in middle portion of the Severn River . My usual spots in this creek did not produce many bites today, so I explored other spots. Much like my Weems Creek experience last week, I caught more fish further back in the creek than near the mouth.

For the past two months, one of my most productive lures was a safety pin style spinner that I got from another local angler. It looked a lot like Woody's lures but had some differences. For whatever reason, those lures had not distinguished themselves recently. Last week, I bought a bunch of Woody's glow jigs. Half way through the trip, I took off the other spinner and tied on Woody's. That did the trick -- I started catching a few white perch. From time to time, I threw another rod with a 1/4-oz jighead tipped with a smoke-colored 4" Gulp mullet. I caught a few white perch up to 11-1/4" with that lure. One one cast, the Gulp was picked up as soon as it hit the water. I brought the heavy fish to boat-side and saw different colors -- this fish was a 13" yellow perch. I have not caught one of them for several months.

Although I did catch some large white perch and one jumbo yellow ned, overall the fishing was not fast and furious today. I was glad to add two more species to the three that I picked up yesterday on the Eastern Shore (speckled trout, rockfish, bluefish). If only a pickerel had come calling today, I could have completed the Chesapeake fall slam for the weekend.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Very nice perch. I'll be hitting the Severn tomorrow, hopefully. I'd be happy with a day like yours.

Comment

WTG John!
      Surfdog and I are going to Neavitt tomorrow..

Comment

that's a nice-lookin yellow perch - congrats!

Comment

That's a beast of a yellow perch. I picked up some Micro-King spinnerbaits, and I need to try them out. I'm looking forward to doing some fishing in the Severn this winter.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
            That's a beast of a yellow perch. I picked up some Micro-King spinnerbaits, and I need to try them out. I'm looking forward to doing some fishing in the Severn this winter.
            My third rod on yesterday's trip was outfitted with a Strike King Micro-King in sun perch color. It was responsible for the first few white perch I caught. Later in the day, I forgot to take it out of the rod holder -- instead I would take a few dozen casts with the Woody spinner then a few dozen with the Gulp.

Most of the pickerel I have hooked over the last two months have come on the Micro-King. Although my preferred bait for winter pickerel is a 1/8-oz jighead with live minnow, the Micro-King could be a good backup if I don't have minnows available on a particular day.

I hope you can venture up to Annapolis over the winter and I can show you some pickerel spots.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

nice John, yelllow perch this early is a good sign. went to whitehall bay this morning very slow, water was the lowest ive ever seen there. caught a few wps on bws and soft crab, threw top waters from sun up till about 0830 with no hits. thought i had some little spinners in my vest but they wernt there also got a nasty little catfish

Comment

John--I was hoping to get up there this summer, but my schedule wasn't very flexible. I like focusing on perch, pickerel, and largemouth bass during the winter, so I think I'll be conducting my weekend fishing trips in Annapolis this year, assuming everything remains unfrozen this year. I was trying to think of where I fished last winter, then I remembered everything was ice-covered.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                X