St. Mary's County Fishing Report: 10-24-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Mary's County Fishing Report: 10-24-2020

It has been a crazy year for many reasons. As a result, I've only been able to get out three times this year. Today will most likely be the last time I go fishing for the year. I didn't have high hopes because I was getting on the water late and during low tide but I made the 2-hour drive and it ended up being one of the better days I've had on the water.

The weather was beautiful, the winds were light, and the water clarity was great. I started off working the grass flats and the first fish ended up being a nice red which is my favorite fish to catch. It pulled me around a bit. I thought it was a big striper until I saw it's bronze back as it was turning me around. It pulled drag a couple of times and I was afraid it might break me off. It was a great relief getting it in the boat.

The striper bite was pretty good but most were it the 15" - 18" range. The biggest one was 25" which was a nice surprise because it has been a long time since I landed one that big. Most of the stripers caught were in an area where it's normally not that productive.

All fish were caught on a 3/8 oz jig head with a Saltwater Assassin Sea Shad body in color chicken on a chain. I wasn't targeting perch but I ended up getting one. It always amazes me when they get hooked with such a big profile for their mouth size. I was hoping to get a blue to make it a full slam but I haven't seen any this year. I did catch a lizard fish but I didn't get a picture.

I got on the water around 1:30 pm and was off by 6 pm.

<MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

We keep getting reports like this in St Mary’s and there’s going to be a real estate boom from fisherman moving down. If it is your last trip it sure is a doozy. Well done!
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Well done! That’s a nice looking red. What a great way to end your season.
      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

What a Great Report and Great Pictures, your Yak onshore looks like a travel guide Brochure

That Red is a stud for what we have been getting in the "Lower Slower". Glad you had a great Outing.

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Very nice catches. I have not seen a red of that size in a while.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report and pics. Here's to next season!
            Hobie Outback
            WS Tarpon
            IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Your beach shot is in the same cove I caught a 12 inch White Perch among the rock riprap...But I digress...when the fish are actively feeding... a lure that mimics bay anchovies, peanut Menhaden, mud minnow bait fish will produce regardless of manufacturer name on the package...the other thing that makes your catch spectacular is the person holding the rod...your techniques, The speed and action of retrieve, action imparted on the lure, the decisions you made during the fight, the amount of drag of your reel, the maintenance and condition of your fishing equipment, sharpness of the hooks, your knowledge of tying good knots, reading the water, knowing where- how deep, how shallow, structure...all these variables any other angler fishing the exact same waters might not catch much of anything...congratulations-hats off!
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                We keep getting reports like this in St Mary’s and there’s going to be a real estate boom from fisherman moving down. If it is your last trip it sure is a doozy. Well done!
                Well just point them to my report on the other thread and you'll keep having the waters to yourself

Great job Mike!
                2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Excellent report!
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X