Saint Leonard Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Leonard Creek

Fishing in Saint Leonard Creek for the past month has been fairly good. I have been trolling, catching rockfish in the 16-18" range with a few at 19-22". Also, a few specks and puppy drum. It seems to have tapered off this past week. There are tons of baitfish at the head of the creek but I can't seem to get a bite out of the fish feeding on them. I tried some top waters into breaking fish with no success. The rockfish seem to be moving closer to the mouth of the creek, which seems counter-intuitive to the bait being at the head of the creek. I don't have a fish finder on my kayak, but from looking at my Navionics chart, it looks like the fish are in 5-15' of water. I have been successful using Sea Assasin 4" paddle tails in pink, chartreuse, and acid rain.

I have been working an area and had guys in boats trolling the area I am in. I have not observed them having much success. I suspect the fish don't like the motor noise. It makes me smile a bit when I hook up and the don't!

I’ve fished Clark’s Landing a couple times and the fish were definitely holding over deeper water, as you observed 5-15’. The better fish are feeding on 6” bunker based on the couple I’ve kept. Not sure what bait at head of the creek but if it was the bay anchovies may explain why rocks weren’t on them. Bulk of fish I caught came over open water in the channel or on a deep edge. Very few came from the shallower flats this past week in the Patuxent.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I am not sure if the baitfish are bay anchovies. The fish the seagulls are picking up seem to look white. I can’t see them when I am near where they are breaking. I suppose I should have gut checked the keeper I got 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
      X