Southern MD hot again this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern MD hot again this morning

I left home very early to make the long drive to fish in southern MD waters again. I arrived at the launch to full darkness and fog. I met Big Mike at the launch -- we each headed off in different directions.

I paddled my Native Ultimate FX15 kayak for 5 hours and covered 10.5 miles while trolling 3 lines primarily in water depths from 4 to 6 ft. I mainly went back and forth in an area of about 1/3 mile by 1/4 mile and marked waypoints whenever I caught a fish. After a while, I could target my route by "connecting the dots" on my screen

on the water.jpg

From 7:15 to 10:00, fishing was pretty slow. It seemed that all I could catch was stripers. At 10:00, someone woke the fish up, and the bite was outstanding until 11:15. I caught five nice speckled trout (19", 19", 18", 18", 16") in the same general area. Two of them came home as dinner guests.

2020-08-11-004.jpg

I kept catching stripers with the largest at 23" to go with an earlier 22" and 20" fish, plus a bunch between 16" and 18".

2020-08-11-001.jpg

I caught one 10" white perch and one 15" redfish to round out the southern Maryland super slam for the second time in a week. I had never done that in all my previous years of fishing, then I did it twice in five days.

2020-08-11-005.jpg

A few of the fish caught today came on a Gulp, but nearly all of them bit a 12 Fathom Buzztail in green speckled color fished on a 3/16-oz Trout Eye jighead. The Buzztail features a long slender tail stalk (caudal peduncle) and a sizeable sickle tail that makes a big movement when pulled through the water.

2020-08-11-009.jpg

I often mention 12 Fathom lures in my posts. 12 Fathom and its sister company Producto had been based in Sanford, FL (near Orlando). I was able to visit the plant several times and meet the owner. About two weeks ago, he sold the company to someone else. They relocated the manufacturing facility to Thomasville, NC.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I ran into John by happenstance but glad to see him. I started off perch, trout, puppy and thought hot morning. Then the bite died. I picked up some scattered perch and a striper but it was quiet. I left around a half hour before the bite turned on. I only have a 25 minute drive to get to Piney Point so my commitment isn’t high to stay if the bite isn’t happening. Looking at the turn in the weather maybe I should have stayed today.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
    X