St. Mary's County Fishing Report: 10-28-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Mary's County Fishing Report: 10-28-2020

Ok, I know I said I would probably not get out again this year but after seeing John Veil's post I had to try one more time for some trout. I ended up just getting a tiny one and I lost a decent one on the paddle back. I hope they return in numbers next year!

It was overcast and the tide started falling when I got there. The water clarity is still great and the water temperature was around 65 degrees.

The perch bite was excellent. Stripers were there but they were all very skinny. The few times I've been out this year I haven't seen a lot of bait balls like in years past. The stripers should be getting fat for winter by now. Lizardfish were still there tugging on baits. I did manage to get one. They are hard to hook. Also, Had a couple of puppy drum.

The forecast didn't call for rain but at one point it started thundering for about 10 minutes.

<MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

That was another productive outing. The perch were bigguns. I'm surprised that you are finding skinny stripers. Most of the stripers I have been seeing during the last 3 weeks (Severn, Eastern Shore, southern MD) have been fat and feisty (for example, I hooked a 22" striper in a Severn creek yesterday. It was big around and pulled me 10 yds and spun the kayak through two full revolutions before I landed it). Nevertheless, when you can get out for a few hours and catch that variety of fish in Maryland waters, it is a very good day. Congratulations.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the post. Especially great to look at fish pics on a rainy day.

Comment

Nice report and nicer fish! Do you trailer your kayak? I passed someone in a SUV trailering a similar colored kayak yesterday evening around 6. They were headed north on Rt 5.
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
          Nice report and nicer fish! Do you trailer your kayak? I passed someone in a SUV trailering a similar colored kayak yesterday evening around 6. They were headed north on Rt 5.
          Hey ski357,

That wasn't me. I do want to eventually start trailering my kayak. I just replaced my old car which had some pretty bad rust spots from all the salt from hauling the kayak on the roof rack. I washed my car after every time I went out and kept it waxed and it still rusted. I already bought a hitch for my new car. I'm just waiting for the Harbor Freight trailer to go on sale.
          <MIKE>
          Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
          Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Looking like some good pullage there. I'm jelly. Right before the rain too. It was really nice yesterday.
            Hobie Outback
            WS Tarpon
            IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Quickly coming to an end...the cold Rain, followed by cold front over the weekend will drop the water temps. Stripers like the colder water, but perch, redfish and specks head for distant deeper waters. You can still catch all three species but not on the flats. Deep jigging along channels, slower retrieves and good electronics are key to success...and success is measured in fewer fish, fewer hits. Cold water fishing is a much different game.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X