Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Good luck today, Dave- I hope you do as well as Bill and I did-
    Thanks, Ron. I had some luck today. I caught 4 fish, 2 blues and 2 rocks, all between 12 and 15 inches. But I have to say I cheated, I caught all of these from shore. After trolling for an hour in the choppy water, I decided to park the kayak at the mouth of the creek, have some lunch, and cast into the current.

Kevinfry came by a little later and started trolling the mouth of the creek. I have attached a picture of Kevin fishing.

I started trolling back toward the launch site and lost my favorite lure to a snag and that was it for the day.

Ron, I would be glad to trade some luck for your skill and knowledge.

Dave
    Attached Files
    WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

At least you didn't get skunked today. If the current is really rolling, fishing the inlet can be tough without beaching or anchoring. The trout seemed to be really concentrated in a few key areas yesterday, and 10ft outside the zone made the difference between catching and not catching. The stripers seemed to be more spread out. I caught one in the creek yesterday about halfway to the mouth from the ramp, which was the first time in a the several years of fishing there that I caught a keeper or near-keeper that far inside the creek. If Ron hadn't been trolling on the way out to the mouth, I wouldn't even have tried.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Glad you got the sunk off, Dave. As for luck, that is always good to have on your side-

The funny thing is I didn't have a single Bluefish yesterday- not one- Bill got his hand bit from one, but they left me completely alone- not complaining, just observing-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Dave! I was waiting for you to come join me. I was really catching them....looked up and u were gone!
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Great report and congrats on the keeper trout
            '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
            '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
            Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
              Dave! I was waiting for you to come join me. I was really catching them....looked up and u were gone!
              Kevin,

I was watching you and the two other guys who were wading catch fish and this time, my headache won out over fishing. Note to self: Bring sodas next time to counteract the effects of caffeine withdrawal!

Hope you caught a lot of keepers!

Dave
              WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

LOL you need one of those mini SS thermoses....can't have enough caffeine. Fighting the wind with a headache???? Better you than me is all I can say.
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Headaches are tough, especially the migraine type- feel for you-

I fried up the St. Jerome catch tonight- simple, southern style yellow cornmeal dredged fish filets seasoned with Tony Chachere cajun seasonings dropped in hot oil and deep fried. Yumm...

Comment

I am at home both laughing and kicking myself for yesterday. Leaving while others are catching fish is just wrong, but I had planned the trip, plenty of food, water and lures to test. Never once thought I would need a "little" caffeine to keep me going...

Earlier this year, Roy gave me a Kayak check list to use, so I wouldn't forget anything. I will now update that list to include "caffeine" for trips over 3 hours.

It is good to read that others had a great time "catching" this weekend and some (Ron) are now making dinner with their catch. St. Jerome Creek was great and I will return to fish again.

Kevin, the wind was not as bad as the sunlight directly in my eyes on the way back.
                    WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

You seem to always catch good fish, Ron. I should have fished with you on this trip.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I enjoy fishing with you Tuf- we got our butts kicked by the snakeheads, but I haven't totally given up on them- Might try them again before cold wether really kicks in-

Comment

Working...
                        X