Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day Approx 155 on the road.. first sig Red Fish....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day Approx 155 on the road.. first sig Red Fish....

Day Approx 155 on the road.. first sig Red Fish....

No pics on this post.. will follow up...

A journey it has been and continues.. bouncing north and south east and west.

Yet to brink the North Carolina border... but temperatures will get me there soon.

Hurricanes and evacuations along the journey...

and crazy winds blasting recently...

I have found... it takes a couple of weeks... or a month to get settled in and get to know a place.
    Local knowledge and just making my journey with maps and luck.

Went out today... with hope of "Specs"... the locals or whatever I witnessed the hunting grounds... pain in the ass with the boats "running and gunning" and moving in and out... oh well...

I am down at the concrete ships.. hint hint... for about two weeks now... but weather has been crazy..
    and the days so short... and until recently... so cold as soon as you put the diner on the plate it gets cold.

With reluctance... I put a microwave in my mini camper (reluctance as in not much room available)...
    but on long days and cold mornings... thank goodness.

Well... a couple of months ago I reported my first Red Fish on a beetle spinner... of the exciting length of about 5 inches... fun in post.. tongue in cheek.. my first.. and a first is a first.

Numerous small puppys .. but not... well the "tailing red fish"... or anything as such.

At the launch today... bunch of clammer boats.. and seeking local knowledge.. mostly on depths and cuts going through the marshes...

I was informed by a clammer... that "any speckled trout above 20inches must be deposited in the back of his truck less I be ticked by VA." ensuing jocularity with the locals... the day started.

We, I, you... head out to the day... and it's bunch of people or less... or none..
    And well... I am in the none category to location...

And I really like that.. except for the clammers... to which from earlier discussions and their passing boats wave a friendly hello !.

Exploring.. looking for specs... finding holes and channels... and just loving 70 degree air temps.
    YUP ! took off my shirt... rolled up my pants and loving it.

So... to cut this once again long story...

Rounded a point and WHAM... heavy hit on my light tackle (perch rig 10lb test line)... and worked it for a very long time spinning drag like crazy... worried so much to break the line...

I had already snagged 4 times earlier this morning... and broke the 10lb line..

Everytime I got the red to the boat it was followed by 4 or 6 other nice size fish..
    2ft - 3 ft of water.. clear as bell water... yikes.. the other fish might cut the line..

Spinning drag... and so long... I got the red to my net.

My first official Red Fish.. and they were tailing too !

So many great people along this journey and great places....
    and new friends along the way.

First Spanish Mackerel caught on a beetle spinner while trying to get blow ups of little blues.
    Bunch of Spanish Mackerel trolling fast with the Torqueedo...

Learning the "Sweet Toads".. are awesome.. !!! thanks to the boys at Gwynn Island.

A week at Assateague Island... in the 75degrees back in late September...
    NO BUGs... slept with the door open every night...

and goes on and continues...

Tight lines...
    Last edited by rob-kayak; 11-10-2020, 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling etc

Nice job on your first big redfish. You are having quite an adventure.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

thanks John.

I guess "big" is relative... so for me it was "big" :-) (plus 24 inches)
      red.jpg

and of course there are hundreds of scenic pictures along the way....

here is one of my favorite while at Jane's Island for a couple of weeks..
      Sunset Silhouette along the marsh of me on the kayak and cloud reflection on the water...
      silouette.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X