Magothy Report 11-7-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy Report 11-7-20

It's been a rough Autumn on the Magothy. I know my neighbor, MagothyMan, has been doing a bit better than I have, but still has been generally frustrated. We have discussed the lack of fish a few times. Last year was my first living and fishing this river, having spent the rest of my life on the Patapsco. I was pleasantly surprised last fall, but things have been decidedly quieter in 2020. I figure in the last 3 weeks I've spent about 20 hours trolling around (with some topwater & jigging thrown in here and there), with nothing but an 8" dink to show for it.

I certainly won't predict that today is a harbinger of things to come - especially so late in the year - but I finally had my first good day on this river in over a year (thanks to a friend with a boat, Rocktober was good overall - just not in the kayak!)

Launched at sunrise to incredibly calm waters, but unfortunately a dead low tide. Trolled uneventfully into Deep Creek where I found a 10" and then a 13" striper. Nothing to get excited about, but after a long string of skunks, it was nice to at least have a fish on board.

On my way back home, though there wasn't a bird to be found, I happened upon some schools of peanut bunker making their way out of the river near Ulmstead Point. Tried jigging into them and well...

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 9.01.34 PM.jpg

So at least there was that. Got some scent on my lure!

Trolled around a bit more and finally got a tug, and a 24" chunkster.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 9.01.46 PM.jpg

A few minutes later, a 23" then a 20", and a 17" to end the day. The 24, 23, and 17 were caught on the jig you see on the bunker above (1/2 oz G-Eye, 5" chartreuse paddletail), which was trailing an Alabama Rig with silver spoons. The 20 was on a black crystal 3D minnow.

Nice to have my patience rewarded.
    2018 Hobie Compass

Congrats, heavy looking fish!
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

They're there. Just not where we look initially.

Your patience paid off.

Nice catches.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
      X