Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Tog

Late report from last Friday.

I fished the OC Inlet for tog with fresh Asian and mud crabs and frozen sand fleas. From the start it was lock and load fishing and I was catching or getting bit nearly as soon as I hit bottom. On my first drop I pulled up a 17" keeper. From there on out it was a lot of shorts with some toads mixed in. Pulled up an eater sized puffer too at 10.5".

An hour or so in the current switched directions and I was forced to move to a new spot to get out of the current to make fishing a little easier. The bite wasn't as good at the second spot, but the size of the fish was better. You had to grind it out for bites though. Eventually I pulled up another keeper at 17.5". A friend I was fishing with pulled in a black drum too.

The current started to slow down enough that I decided to go back to the spot I originally started at. I was immediately back into lock and load fishing, but they were all shorts or big toads. I saw a nearby boater pulled in a just short puppy red as well. Choice of biat didn't seem to make much difference as I caught on both kinds of crabs and the frozen fleas. A lot of boats of togging too so there is plenty of competition out there.
    Brian

Thanks for the report! Always nice when the fish are biting like that. I’d like to try at OC at some point, but I need to do some research with the currents first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
      Thanks for the report! Always nice when the fish are biting like that. I’d like to try at OC at some point, but I need to do some research with the currents first.

There is certainly a learning curve to going out in the inlet, but after you go a few times you start to figure it out.

I'll give you a basics real quick to jump start your research :

1) check the coefficient.
      2) slack current averages about 2 - 2.5 hours after the predicted tide.
      3) south jetty - you can safely fish there from a kayak on incoming current without much effort; outgoing current will punish you.
      4) Martha's landing - easy to fish on outgoing current; incoming is doable on lower coefficients; incoming on high coefficients isn't worth the effort.
      5) Rt. 50 bridge - challenging on both incoming and outgoing unless the coefficient is low; although there are some eddies and slack spots where you can effectively fish the bridge at the height of the current; watch out for people fishing from above!
      6) North Jetty - I've never messed with it too much.
      7) there are other smaller places in the inlet on the fringes that you can fish once you figure out the current and how the water flows.
      8) south jetty oceanside - if you see waves crashing into the jetty from inside the inlet then don't bother going out to try to fish the oceanside.
      9) tip of the south jetty (submerged portion) - this place gets down right gnarly on incoming current, so be careful; you can get very close to the gnarly area and still be very safe, but if you get into the gnarly mix it can be a wild and sketchy ride!
      Brian

Comment

Can't wait to go back. Next time with you dude!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks Brian - great information as always!

J

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            Can't wait to go back. Next time with you dude!
            It would be nice. Although, Worcester County schools just went back to virtual learning until January so my chances of getting out during a weekday isn't going to happen. Plus, my wife works most Saturdays, so my togging might be done already
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X