Severn Pickerel (12-13-2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Pickerel (12-13-2020)

I fished Weem's creek on the Severn yesterday for a few hours in the afternoon for pickerel. I tried to time it with a rising tide, because of some other reports of low water. The water was plenty high about midway through the tide cycle to hit the spots I wanted to and the water was moving pretty good (coefficient was 97). I landed four with the largest running 19". I had two others that came off that I didn't get a good hookset on.

I read a FishTalk magazine blog (https://www.fishtalkmag.com/blog/trolling-pickerel) prior to the trip that made me reconsider tactics part way through my trip to attempt to troll for pickerel. I hooked three of my fish while trolling (I also hooked my fair share of underwater logs ).

IMG-5510.jpg
    J

Sweet! I fished the Severn for pickerel on Friday and did well, caught 13 of them and lost several more in the span of about 3 hours. All were about 15-17" long, looked like they all could have been the exact same fish. 3.5" white/silver paddle tail swimbait fish very slowly was the ticket.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

That's a solid day! I haven't tried using a soft plastic to catch them yet, but that's next on my list. I've been using a Mepps spinner with a slow retrieve.
      J

Comment

Working...
      X