Patuxent River Crabbing 10-16-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patuxent River Crabbing 10-16-11

It was a bad day out there for me. I had a lot of things not going my way. It all lead up to me losing an anchor...after just two runs of my line. I learned a lot, but I am still baffled at my knot failure. I've been fishing for years, and can't remember the last time I've have a knot fail. Ok...yeah I can...but it was a long time ago (I have a good memory) lol.

Anyway...the video is longer than last time (just a warning). I include things you may not be interested in seeing (such as baiting the trotline) because I show this to many people who are not familiar with all that comes along with crabbing. I hope you enjoy... (change to 720p for optimal quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4VoZ44l5w
    <insert witty comment here>

http://www.animatedknots.com/improve...improvedclinch

Just sayin...LMAO!!!!

Comment

LOL yeah yeah yeah

Comment

I didnt get a chance to watch your video. I will look forward to watching it later tonight. For all of my permant rope knots (anchor, crab trap line, etc..), I secure the rope with hog rings. If you squeeze the hog ring down to the line it will never come loose... Just a suggestion. I usually put on two per knot.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good video Metroman. Sorry about all of the mishaps. I plan on going Sat morning because I have promissed crabs to a friend several months ago. Good luck on your next mission.

Comment

Hey thanks... _ _ it happens! I'll be back at it this weekend, thats for sure! Trying to get all this "noobness" out of my system this season so I can be proficient next year.

Comment

Where did you launch from?

Comment

Len's Marina, Broomes Island.

Comment

Tough day huh?

LMAO @ "Her Husband Failed Miserably"

I definitely want to try crabbing next season myself so I appreciate the videos.
                  Keep em coming
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks for the video.

I am sure I will try someday

joe
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Nice setup.

I have tried crabbing from the kayak but i typically get out and wade the shallows along the grass and net crabs in 2 ft of less.. Been fairly productive when i have gone with large males and females.

To bad you lost your anchor... i absolutely hate losing gear..

I am going to have to invest in a trout line setup soon and give it a go.

Meadeo
                      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

It gets better. Moc just made it look easy.

Maybe a carabiner or a shackel permanently attached to the line would make it quick and easy to hook the line to the anchor. That way you could use some sort of glue on the knot or some shrink tape or hog rings on the tag end of you knot. With the shackel or carabiner idea you could also use a double overhand loop to make connections. Just some ideas. I don't know, it could of also been the anchor made in china. Yeah, thats it. ...or maybe it was the Chinese chicken necks.

However, loved the video. Just remember, we are the hunter, gatherers. That is why we do it. Well, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                          It gets better. Moc just made it look easy.

Maybe a carabiner or a shackel permanently attached to the line would make it quick and easy to hook the line to the anchor. That way you could use some sort of glue on the knot or some shrink tape or hog rings on the tag end of you knot. With the shackel or carabiner idea you could also use a double overhand loop to make connections. Just some ideas. I don't know, it could of also been the anchor made in china. Yeah, thats it. ...or maybe it was the Chinese chicken necks.

However, loved the video. Just remember, we are the hunter, gatherers. That is why we do it. Well, maybe.
                          It is easy from my Hobie. I do not tie anything since I use brass clips for everything like you suggested. I do double tie the main line to each anchor with a brass clip at the end. Here is my video link again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJc4gfMzVGU

Comment

Nothing was particularly difficult for me this trip...just that epic fail cut my trip short.

We'll see what this weekend shall bring... I'm already over this failed outing and I'm ready for the next.

Comment

I am sure you will be abundantly successful on your next trip. I smell steamed crabs in your future.

Comment

Working...
                              X