No announcement yet.

Upcoming Fishing Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Ill be dipped, I had no idea that they were any good to eat. But being the brave adventurous fellow that I am I will try taking one home for the table when I get the opportunity. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by 48 Chevy View Post
      Well Ill be dipped, I had no idea that they were any good to eat. But being the brave adventurous fellow that I am I will try taking one home for the table when I get the opportunity. Thanks for the info.
      That's actually how they wound up here in the first place. Snakehead are highly sought after in their native southeast Asia, and were first brought to the State's for sale at Asian fish markets which like to keep their product alive for freshness.

Its not illegal to release them so long as you are releasing them into the same waters from which you caught them. It is highly illegal to be caught transporting a live specimen anywhere which is meant to prevent introductions to new waters. So release them back where you caught them if you like, but if you keep it you best kill it before it goes in the cooler or on the stringer.
      - Cliff

Hobie Compass
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

I have a 2018 Outback as well, but I wimped out and now I use a Bixpy electric motor. Hey, I'm seventy-nine! I go out with the Mirage drive in standby position in case the motor craps out usually in May, probably mid-may. I fish mostly for white perch (love 'em fried), but I leave a troll line out when I can for any unsuspecting rock ( love them, too, mostly baked) that might be interested. I may go out earlier this year because of the cicada emergence to try the Severn just to see what's up. Gear's ready, battery's charged, I'm pumped. I simply love to be on the water, so I might as well fish while I'm out!
        ----------------------------------
        2018 Hobie Outback
        Bixpy Electric Power

Comment

Congratulations on staying active at 79...there are a-bunch of us 65(+) kayakers on this forum...I turned 75 a month ago...when you see young, fit, kayakers using Torquedo, Bixby and now integrated "spot lock" trolling motors, I would not say you are "wimping out"...the only thing I have against motor power is the propeller whine seems to move fish off the flats...not as much as gas powered motors, but noticeable...the vibration seems to alert fish in shallow water...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Staying active this past year has been difficult. Propeller whine! I shall try to check that out this year. The Bixpy is supposed to be quieter than most. Also, the Hobie's Mirage Drive's paddles allegedly make a swishing noise going back and forth, so in the past I have used a paddle to navigate the shallows.

I had a power boat for a while; never caught a single rock in it but lots and lots of white perch. I love those cooked just about any way ya wanna. With the kayak I've caught a few rocks and even more whities, nothing record-breaking.
            ----------------------------------
            2018 Hobie Outback
            Bixpy Electric Power

Comment

Regarding motors on kayaks, I am not ready to add the weight of motor and battery and the mechanical complexity on my my own kayaks. I just returned from a long trip to Florida. Three of the guides with whom I fished had electric motors on their kayaks (two Torqueedos and one Minnkota). They were able to tow me over long distances so we could reach a variety of fishing spots. Once at those spots, I used my own paddle to move around. It was great to sit back and enjoy the tow on a 30, 45, or 60 minute tow back to the launch location.

Just to remind me about the quirks of relying on motors, on the day I fished in Biscayne Bay, we launched early but the guide's Torqueedo would not start. The motor gave an error code. While on the water, he called Torqueedo technical support. An hour or so later, we got a call back from Jeff Little, an engineer with Torqueedo. The problem could not be solved during the trip, but was fixed that evening. We ended up paddling several miles in a heavy kayak because the motor did not work.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Kayaks indeed allow us to be stealthy in shallow water. We can help by drifting into casting locations when possible, not standing to alert fish of our presence and avoiding unnecessary noises, like banging the hull with our paddles or dropping heavy objects on our decks. Paddling or pedaling gently is also helpful.

Some would say that the sounds made by fish finder transducers can alert fish to our presence. They'll turn them off in shallow water. I have no experience with that because I do not use a fish finder in my kayaks. But there is plenty online written about it on both sides of the argument.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I added the option of an electric motor about two years ago. It was more of a necessity for me and I wanted one that had reduce complexity and was light weight, which were concerns of John that was stated earlier. I have known of the Torqueedo's throwing codes and would not start from several kayakers, so I chose the Bixpy. While not as powerful as the Torqueedo and other more expensive motor options, I love that the Bixpy because of its light weight and simplicity. The controls are wireless with a controller the size of a deck of cards attached to my life vest. For my 2016 kayak, I bolted the motor to the Hobie sailing rudder. The battery is extremely light and there is only one cable that connects to the motor and batter. No drilling of holes in the kayak itself. I ended up with the motor because I was in a car accident in 2018, not of my own doing. My car was totaled and I went to the emergency room. Once everything was said and done with doctor visits, pain killers and physical therapy. My ankles and back never returned to pre-accident sport condition. So I use the motor as an assist when kayaking. When the ankle acts up, it is great to turn on the motor on low to take the pressure of peddling through the water. If the ankles really act up then I just turn on the motor to take me home back to shore along with some Ibrofin for when I get home. I love the Bixpy for this reason. Kayaking is good exercise for me so I will be doing it for as long as I can, and the Bixby helps me to just that.
                  MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE
                  Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                  X