Maryland regestration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland regestration

Hello new to the group here, I am in the process of ordering a Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL and I have a couple of questions;1) are peddle kayaks required to be registered with boat numbers in Maryland ? 2) would anyone be interested in planing some crappie and yellow perch trips to the reservoirs this late winter / early spring.
    Thanks look forward to talking to you about kayaks and fishing.

Welcome to the forum 48 Chevy.

MD requires you to register your kayak only if you propel it with a motor.

Purely paddle and pedal-driven kayaks are exempt.

You mentioned reservoirs...Liberty, Loch Raven and Pretty Boy Reservoirs require special permits from Baltimore City for your kayak. Further, I believe that permit requires you to restrict the use of your kayak to those waters. Others here surely know more on that topic.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^ 100% correct

Comment

Very strange, so if you use the reservoirs to fish you have to agree to only fish there

Comment

Mark is correct that you do not need to register your kayak for the reasons stated. As for the reservoirs, I was told that was to avoid contamination. The reservoirs are fresh water, and protected for humans. I remember another reservoir informed me that I had to use my canoe only in the fresh water reservoirs, since using it on rivers and saltwater bodies of water could introduce parasites to the reservoirs that might hide on the hull of your boat.
          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
          2016 Hobie Outback LE
          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I know a few anglers who dedicate a boat or kayak specifically for reservoirs. I'm not willing to do that. There are other bodies of freshwater within reach.

There are several lakes in Columbia and there is Piney Run near Westminster. St. Mary's Lake is a popular destination discussed here often. On the Eastern Shore there are many mill ponds in MD and DE. Those ponds are my favorite freshwater fishing destinations not only because they contain good fish populations but they are essentially ungated and open at all hours.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The single most feared organism the Baltimore City water supply managers fear is the zebra mussel. They are known to grow on and inside of big water supply plumbing. There are probably other organisms they also fear but the zebra mussel takes top billing.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by 48 Chevy View Post
                Very strange, so if you use the reservoirs to fish you have to agree to only fish there
                No, you have to agree to only use the watercraft there. We have something like that in the NYC reservoirs in upstate NY.

Comment

You are not required to register but they recommend it to ‘claim’ your ownership if something happens to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

yea thats what i meant to say

Comment

Originally posted by YakMonkey View Post
                      You are not required to register but they recommend it to ‘claim’ your ownership if something happens to it.
                      Should also mention that registration is free in MD for those boats 16' or less. But you may have to pay a small onetime fee to cover sales tax if you can't prove that the tax was already payed by showing a sales receipt. Registration in one state carries good perks in many other states too, like free launching. And yeah, what YakMonkey said, registration proves ownership. And I'll also add so the powers that be can notify your next of kin if they find your kayak turned turtle in some back woods cove...think Deliverance.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

If I bought a used Kayak from PA, do I still subjected to pay tax when registering it? (I guess, Yes but just making sure)

Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

Originally posted by YakMonkey View Post
                          If I bought a used Kayak from PA, do I still subjected to pay tax when registering it? (I guess, Yes but just making sure)

When it comes to taxes in Maryland no need to guess, you’ll owe 6%. Hopefully you’ve got a notarized sale price or they may decide the value for you.
                          Mike
                          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Loch raven, Pretty Boy & Liberty one most assuredly has to have a permit to launch & Dock, which btw are sold out for the 2021 season.

Also:
                            "Due to the potential for zebra mussel​ infestations, boaters on Liberty, Loch Raven, and Prettyboy Reservoirs must sign an affidavit stating their boat will be used only on these reservoirs. Live bait is prohibited unless purchased from a Maryland certified zebra mussel-free bait store."

Comment

I agree it is absurd but then again it is Maryland. Oldbayrunner your moniker says "senior YakFisher" I too am a senior looking for someone to hook up with to share their knowledge of yak fishing. Do you do any freshwater fishing for crappie, yellow perch? and where do you go. What type of fishing do you mostly and where do you go.

Comment

Working...
                              X