Finding post-spawn white perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding post-spawn white perch

With Striped Bass season on lockdown, I've been searching out post-spawn, pre-summer white perch locations and coming up almost empty each time. No amount of research from salinity and temps to covering multitudes of ground up and down has helped. Previous years had spent more time targeting rockfish since season opens around now I guess.

Starting to reach the limits of wifey's patience before I start going to the fish department at the neighborhood H-Mart for the goods Any solid pointers where I can find them (feel free to PM if uncomfortable posting more broadly).
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

White perch do not show up in the Severn River shallow shoreline areas until mid-May. At that point a few perch are there. During the rest of May and early June, large numbers show up making for easy summer perch fishing.

I tried several Severn spots this afternoon and last Tues just out of curiosity. As I expected, I got no bites in the places where perch will be in a few weeks.

While that does not tell you where they are now, it may give some insight to when to look for them.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yup, waiting is the toughest part. :-) Thanks John!

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      White perch do not show up in the Severn River shallow shoreline areas until mid-May. At that point a few perch are there. During the rest of May and early June, large numbers show up making for easy summer perch fishing.

I tried several Severn spots this afternoon and last Tues just out of curiosity. As I expected, I got no bites in the places where perch will be in a few weeks.

While that does not tell you where they are now, it may give some insight to when to look for them.
      -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Good seeing you online Dimo.
        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Teddy, Gary and I tried fishing yesterday in one of our most productive White Perch "honey holes" in St. Mary's County...the slower lower...no luck...figure it is two to three weeks early..water temp was 63.7 degrees..
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

We go through this anticipation every year. I imagine they arrive a little sooner in SMOG territory but here in the Mid-Bay tributaries a few will tease us in May but I rarely find them in big numbers where I routinely catch double digits and many on consecutive casts until mid-June. Then they'll be thick on shorelines, especially shady areas, all summer through September with their numbers starting to decrease through the fall until late October or early November where you may catch a straggler or two in shallow water. And then they'll be gone to deeper waters in the Chesapeake where they winter.

My question to white perch anglers -- Have you ever caught them on topwater? I've caught only one that way. It hit a fly rod surface slider that I was casting to stripers in Goodhands Creek on Kent Island. They're cousins in the fish family with stripers. They often swim together. But I've never seen them in schools breaking the surface in a feeding frenzy like stripers. So, I was just wondering if anyone targets them on top and if so what do they use?

I catch mine on 1/8 oz. jig spinners, jigs with Mr. Twisters and Clousers and Bendbacks on the fly.

Great fun on summer days.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've heard of folks occasionally catching them on top, but never done it myself. White perch seem to feed more on invertebrates like grass shrimp than fish which probably explains why its so rare to see them busting on top.
              - Cliff

Hobie Compass
              Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                Good seeing you online Dimo.
                You too moc! Been keepin up with your adventures on YT, got my first set up ready for crabbin this year! [emoji1690]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Working...
                X