A new ride with fishing mojo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new ride with fishing mojo

I really like being able to carry an 11’ kayak inside my minivan with the doors closed. My 2014 Native Manta Ray 11 has served me well for more than 500 trips, and is still going strong. But the shape of the seating well seems to capture water on more and more of my trips. A few months ago, Native began shipping a new 11’ kayak called the Falcon 11. It has raised frame seating and some handy built in storage features. At 11’ long, 32” wide, and 65 lbs (including the seat), this is more or less the same size as my Manta Ray 11. It is a true sit-on-top style and will fit inside the van.

Although I have served on Native Watercraft's Pro Staff team for 8 years, I recently stepped down from that position and can no longer get discounted boats directly from Native. This week I began looking for a Falcon 11 at any of the local Native dealers. Only one dealer had them in stock. This morning I picked up my new Falcon 11. I know that many kayakers like neutral colors that blend in with the background and camouflage you when on the water. I have a different perspective and really want to be seen by other boaters for safety reasons. I chose the very bright chartreuse color called “Venom”.

2021-04-11-001.jpg

I had planned the morning schedule around getting the new boat, but added short fishing trips immediately before and immediately after getting it. I drove from home to the headwaters of a tidal river. It is tidal freshwater at that point. I began fishing from the shoreline and soon caught several 16” hickory shad. I used tandem rigs with various combinations of shad darts and 1/8-oz jigheads with 2” twister tails. I hooked something that pulled a lot harder downstream from where I was standing. It was either a larger fish, two fish on at once, or one or more foul-hooked fish. The current was strong enough that I had to pull hard to gain any line (and I did feel true head shaking). After 30 seconds, the tiny hook pulled loose. I would have liked to see that mystery fish.

PXL_20210429_122942220.jpg

I had told the kayak store that I would stop by about 9:30. Sadly I left biting fish and drove 15 mins to the shop. They had a good inventory of Native boats and other brands. I first checked to see that the new boat fits successfully inside my van – it does, but because it is wider, it is a bit harder to slide into position, and it partially blocks my view of the passenger side mirror.

From there I drove directly to a nearby mill pond for a short shakedown cruise. I launched and moved to a corner where I have caught fish before. The new kayak has fishing mojo – on my first cast I hooked and landed a black crappie. The crappie in that area were quite aggressive and hit my 2” white or chartreuse twistertails quickly. In 45 mins of casting an ultralight rod, I caught 20 crappie, two 12” largemouths, and a fat bluegill. With the hickory shad, crappie, bluegill, and redbreast sunfish I caught this week, my 2021 species total is up to 41.

2021-04-11-003.jpg 2021-03-03-001.jpg 2021-04-11-005.jpg

The fishing was so fast and successful that I did not paddle very far. But in the limited paddling I did, the Falcon 11 paddled well, was quite stable, and worked nicely for light tackle fishing.

After getting home, I pulled both of my 11’ kayaks out to the front yard. The Manta Ray 11 (darker green and black kayak) is 2” shorter and quite a bit narrower in the bow and stern areas. The Falcon 11 carries a broad beam most of the way to the back. This will undoubtedly add some stability. Today’s test, on a calm pond, did not tell me much about rough water handling. That test will come on another day. Both kayaks have the built-in wheel at the stern allowing easy pulling over hard surfaces. The raised seating on the Falcon 11 is quite different from the heavily padded wedge seat on the Manta Ray 11.

2021-04-11-006.jpg PXL_20210429_171300875.jpg PXL_20210429_171328825.jpg

If you are looking for an easy-to-handle sit-on-top kayak that is full of features and sells at a modest price point ($849), take a look at the Falcon 11. Even though I am no longer on Native's Pro Staff team, I still like the quality and features of their kayaks and own several models.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice looking Kayak John, tight lines this summer.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Beautiful kayaks and a really good day of fishing. Good for you, John. I am thinking about getting a new kayak. I will take a look at the Native Falcon 11. I have been using the same old sit-in kayak for many years. My legs cramp after a couple hours and it is frustrating trying to tie on new lures, etc. I almost pulled the trigger on a Hobie Compass two weeks ago, but I am glad that I held back. The price point is higher than I can justify at this time (I think :--). I am always jealous when i see that someone can stand up on their kayak. John - do you think that a fairly stable person can stand on the Falcon 11 as long as conditions are not rough?

Thank you,

UnkleRob

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
        Beautiful kayaks and a really good day of fishing. Good for you, John. I am thinking about getting a new kayak. I will take a look at the Native Falcon 11. I have been using the same old sit-in kayak for many years. My legs cramp after a couple hours and it is frustrating trying to tie on new lures, etc. I almost pulled the trigger on a Hobie Compass two weeks ago, but I am glad that I held back. The price point is higher than I can justify at this time (I think :--). I am always jealous when i see that someone can stand up on their kayak. John - do you think that a fairly stable person can stand on the Falcon 11 as long as conditions are not rough?

Thank you,

UnkleRob
        Rob - I sent you a separate pmail answering your questions. But in case other readers want to know about standing up, the Falcon 11 is designed to allow easy standing for those anglers who choose to do so (not me -- I never stand in a kayak). The floor is wide and flat with a non-skid coating (see the next-to-last photo in my original post). The frame seat has high/low positions. The high position is intended to allow easier standing. The width of the kayak that extends most of the way to the stern will make the boat stable.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I will never own another kayak without an elevated frame seat. It's a total game changer. Glad you like the new Falcon, John. It's a good looking small boat.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
          X