Breton Bay Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breton Bay Revisited

I’m stubborn and this morning was forecast for some of the best winds we’ve seen in a while. So back to BB I went. On the approach road I could see an inversion layer of thick fog over the water with the colder than normal air hitting the warm water. Shoved off into the soup at 5:45. By 6 I already had 3 quality fish released, a 19 and two 17 inch rocks. I’m stupid but not dumb so I set up a racetrack about 150 yards long by 5 yards wide and kept catching nice fish. As the sun rose the fog started to burn off and gave me this beautiful sunrise.

After about a dozen fish the action slowed so I headed to our jigging spot. Very quickly I hooked something big, it was ripping line and I’m thinking this is it. What it was was a tail hooked 5 lb blue cat. Ugh. After a quick release I went back to jigging and pulled up this harbinger of things to come.

We jig in about 6-8’ of water so this was relatively shallow. By 730 I’d completely lost current but the fish didn’t care. Went back to my racetrack and I’d get at least one decent fish each lap. I ended up with 4 19” fish and numerous 17-18”. I only caught a couple of the pesky 11” fish. I don’t keep a very good count but going to guess around 25 today in total.

So what was different today than Tuesday. I initially had a falling tide today versus the beginning of an incoming. I felt the bigger change was a slight increase in stain from the thunderstorms. It also helped a lot today to have the rod in hand and to sweep the lure back and forth as I trolled. They seemed to be followers today and when I swept forward they’d hit the lure. Today only used a 1/4 oz jighead with a 4” Bass Assassin paddle tail in pearl with the chartreuse tail when I wasn’t jigging.

Who knows what I’ll find the next time, that’s the beauty of fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I'm glad to see that fishing is picking up in southern Maryland. I look forward to testing those waters during the summer months.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

There is just something about the troll on the kayak that out fishes all other methods – when I do figure 8 on my hobby on the turns/sweep as when I catch fish In Delaware last weekend I was fishing a tidal creek with guys jigging from shore but I was the only one catching fish on the toll with the same lure in the same water – works every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X