Suggestions for dolly for new kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for dolly for new kayak

Been fishing the eastern shore and this year I plan to go after snakeheads in a big way. Recently ordered a fishing yak for getting into the skinny waters at Blackwater that I can't navigate with my 15 ft jon boat or can't use because of a soft launch. I'll haul the yak in the back of my truck with a hitch extender. I was going to make a dolly with PVC pipe that fit into the scupper holes, but then thought I can't get the wheels wet or the wheel bearings will rust. Also not sure how I can get the PCV into the scupper holes by myself. Looking for a dolly the yak will sit on top of for around $100 that has plastic wheel hubs and plastic sleeve bearings. Some of the soft launches I will be using are not much more than a 3-4 foot wide ditch. Some have some gravel along with other trash that I do not want to drag a new boat over so again thinking I will need to get the wheels wet. Probably will need wheels with tires at least 3-4 inches wide. Suggestions?
    Moses was once a basket case, so there's hope for you.

Ctug its expensive but good. Used to soft launch near assateague, all the time on bush river, suski, and gunpowder

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

C-Tug is around $130. I don’t think you’ll find a quality kayak kart much cheaper. I also wouldn’t fret to much about scuffing the kayak. They are tougher than you think and it’s going to happen. If your worried about rusting, mostly because of brackish water, just spray with a hose when you get home.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I started out in my kayak fishing by making a PVC cart that went into scupper holes. It worked, but some manufacturers recommended against putting that much strain on the scupper holes. I eventually gave it up. I used stainless steel all-thread and hardware to avoid rusting.

2011-10-27 001.jpg 2011-10-27 003.jpg

I am currently using a C-Tug, which has served well on several different kayaks. There is one simple modification you can make to allow the C-Tug to better nest with the bottom shape of your kayak. Attach a piece of PVC pipe to each of the support pads. The C-Tug breaks apart into smaller pieces in case you want to store it inside your hull while fishing. The older versions of C-Tug came with straps that had a lousy buckle. I replaced the strap with a cam-lock strap. The newer version may already have a cam-lock strap.

strap 4.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a C-tug.
          Moses was once a basket case, so there's hope for you.

Comment

Save money and head aches by buying a CTug first because you will eventually buy one. Most of us who have been car topping and trucking our yaks around have tried home builds and other store brands. They are not as versatile nor as sturdy as the CTug.

It's one purchase you won't regret.
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
            X