South, West, and Rhode Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South, West, and Rhode Rivers

Hey everyone, I just wanted to reach out to see what the boards opinions were on fishing in the South, Rhode, and West Rivers. These are three good size rivers just south of Annapolis that I hear very little about on the boards, or really anywhere else. That alone may tell me all I need to know, and public access on these rivers does seem to be extremely limited aside from Carrs Wharf on the Rhode.

What do people of think of these rivers? Do they offer fishing good enough to go to the trouble to find a way to put a kayak on them? I imagine they have to at least have plenty of perch in the summer, and I want to say I've heard of some drum and speck catches. I would appreciate any intel folks have to share.
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

On the South River there's a launch at Homeport Farm Park on Church Creek which is just a short paddle from the main river. This launch is at the bottom of a long and steep path, partially paved and partially gravel. Be prepared to haul your kayak back up to the parking lot at the top of the hill after you fish - pack light! There's also South River Farm Park which to my knowledge doesn't have any launch facilities, but you might be able to find a spot to drop in and do a "guerilla launch", not sure as I've never been to this park.

West/Rhode Rivers have several public access points. The SERC facility has a public launch on Rhode River though you're limited by their hours of operation. Carr's Wharf on Rhode River as you mentioned is an option as is Beverly Triton Beach (again, limited hours) at the mouth of both rivers. Further south on the West River there's a public boat ramp at Discovery Village, and there's also a cartop boat launch at the same place, but you're better off using the boat ramp - the "soft" launch is very rocky and not well maintained. There's also Galesville Wharf further up the West River which is public access and I think they have a soft launch for canoes/kayaks.

I haven't used all of these launches, but I've done decently well at the ones I have used. I'm launching from Discovery Village early tomorrow morning to troll for rockfish around the mouth of the West/Rhode River system, I'll report back how I do.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Cliff,

Of the three rivers you mentioned I'm familiar only with the South River with access via Homeport. As Dave said there is a hill to the launch which is in Church Creek. Access to the launch is gated which you can learn about here: https://www.aacounty.org/locations-a...port-farm-park

The South River is not far from the launch. There's a lot of riprap where Church Creek meets the South River that produces white perch and stripers. Plus there are seawalls, docks and natural shorelines in Church Creek itself that offer good fish structure.

I like fishing there. I don't visit it more than few times per year because there are other easier (flatter) public launches on the Severn and Patapsco which are closer to my home. But Homeport Farm is worth a visit.

It's only the only place here in the Mid-Bay area that I have caught a redfish. That happened last September when I was perch fishing in the back portions of Church Creek. I doubt that is a routine occurrence. That same day, stripers were surfacing in the creek, again in the back portions. But most of the time, I've found stripers near the mouth of the creek.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the intel, gentlemen! I will look into some of these launches this summer for a change of pace. I look forward to your rockfish report, Dave!
        - Cliff

Hobie Compass
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
        X