Perch Are Here in Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perch Are Here in Numbers

Double report: Yesterday afternoon I went out of Tucker Street and caught my first white perch of the year, followed by probably 8 or 9 more, and a tiny striper. All caught on rip rap with a bladebait.

This morning I hit Horn Point and saw a lot of action on a lipless and a blade bait. Biggest one was maybe 9 inches. My minimum size to keep is 10 inches, so it has to be chicken hitting the grease for dinner tonight. Lots of fun on light tackle and I plan on going back soon to hit em with my fly rod.

If trolling for stripers isn't working, find some rip rap and bend a rod!

I had a similar experience this morning in Weems. I caught 9 white perch -- all small. I was using a Bignose spinner. They are here but still are not as thick as they will be in a few weeks.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Figures - been waiting for them to return since last year this time, had a blast. A week ago Sunday I fell off a short ladder at home and dislocated my shoulder and broke my humerus in 3 places. Doc says I won’t be fishing for 5-6 months most likely [emoji30]

No perch for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Originally posted by jdindino View Post
        Figures - been waiting for them to return since last year this time, had a blast. A week ago Sunday I fell off a short ladder at home and dislocated my shoulder and broke my humerus in 3 places. Doc says I won’t be fishing for 5-6 months most likely [emoji30]

No perch for me!

Wow, never like to hear a story like this. Need to start a Go Perch me fund so you can have meat for the grease.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Wow, never like to hear a story like this. Need to start a Go Perch me fund so you can have meat for the grease.
          Dying laughing at ‘Go Perch Me’ [emoji2957]

Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

I was fortunate to have some success this past Wednesday on my home waters of the South River. Perch in hand!

IMG_20210519_160202936.jpg
            Steve
            Edgewater, MD

2020 Hobie Passport-Seagrass

Comment

They are scattered...not schooled up...caught a few but nothing like it will be in a couple of weeks...have patience it will get a lot better...my waterman friend complained about the lousy white perch commercial catch blaming blue catfish predation for the light hauls...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

White perch are cousins in the fish world to striped bass.

As we've all no doubt noticed, they often swim together. It's not unusual to catch white perch while striper fishing and vice versa.

Yet white perch numbers have never seemed to diminish in the creeks where most kayakers catch them. I've wondered why their numbers stay so steady while striper numbers fluctuate.

Ron...I didn't even know that white perch were commercial targets. Blue cats are here in the Mid-Bay region now according to local bait anglers I've spoken to. I guess we'll soon see if white perch numbers decline here too.
                Last edited by Mark; 05-23-2021, 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

E
                  These guys have shown up as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                    E
                    These guys have shown up as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Careful - that might be considered "spot burning".
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                    X