Rose Haven report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose Haven report

For folks looking for some entertainment, Rose Haven is producing well again so far this year. I've been a handful of times in the past couple of weeks, and most times left with an arm tired from bringing in the fish! I've been ball-parking 40-50 fish per trip but yesterday I made the effort to actually count every fish (give or take), and it came out to be ~55 rockfish and 2 white perch from 5:15am - 8:45am. Fun times! Biggest yesterday was just shy of 17", but most were in the 14" range. I did get a nice 22" fish a couple of weeks back, and a several 18's. Not much in the way of perch, but then I'm not really targeting them so I wouldn't read into that too much. (But no CNRs yet - hooray!)

Most rockfish have been on jig and paddle/curly tail, though they were hitting spoons hard one day too. I did notice the fish are kind of clumped up. It took me 45 mins to find a single fish yesterday, but then stayed on them the whole time in one general (large) area. Similar experience in previous outings too - gotta troll around to find them, and then you can sit on them and get one after another until either you or they drift off. Key depth has been 6.5 - 10ft, with most strongly preferring the 7-8ft over rough-looking bottom.

I also noticed they are very aggressively hitting 'falling' baits in particular. I'll hold the rod while I troll (pedal drive FTW!) and frequently 'drop/draw' the bait to entice them. I'd say 9/10 hits are during that drop. Just straight trolling isn't nearly as effective. Same with the spoons -- that second you flutter the bait down, they absolutely nail it. So I'm guessing they're particularly keyed in on dying shad. Anyway, hopefully this is helpful to folks that want to get into a few fish this weekend*, even if keepers are hard to come by.

[*edit: just remembered the weather's gonna suck this weekend... ]

Good report. Never fished rose haven but my wife and I have very nice picnics there. Always wondered how far out you have to paddle/peddle to get to deeper water. Watched people wade out knee deep look like almost 250 yards off the beach.
    Sounds like you enjoyed yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Jigsup View Post
      Always wondered how far out you have to paddle/peddle to get to deeper water.
      Most of the action I was seeing was about a quarter to half mile out from the launch area. Beyond that it drops to 10ft+ and the fish thin out in my experience.

Comment

Thanks for the report, I'm right on the other side of Herring Bay from Rose Haven with easy access to the waters off Franklin Manor. I'll have to paddle out to the drop off and see if the rockfish are around there too.

You can see the drop off from Google Maps satellite view, the water shifts from a light greenish color to dark blue. It's basically 3 feet deep all the way out to the drop off where it gradually drops to 7, 8, 12, and eventually bottoms out at 20+ feet.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCadet View Post
          Most of the action I was seeing was about a quarter to half mile out from the launch area. Beyond that it drops to 10ft+ and the fish thin out in my experience.
          Your shallow depth range is consistent with what I have found in Eastern Bay and Little Choptank River during the past few weeks. There are lots of stripers out there -- only a few above 20". Trolling in 3' to 4' has produced very well for me. If I go any deeper, the bite drops off.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Karl, greetings from the Low Country. (Charleston SC). Still checking into Snaggedline every now and then and enjoy your and others posts and living vicariously through you guys. Always loved the bay fishery. Fishing down here is decent. Weather been epic for 2 months. Redfish bite is strong. A couple dozen to 31" last wk. Spanish Mackerel were all over the place. Caught a bunch in Folly Inlet (Can get squirely) and right in the marsh. Even on paddle tails mixed in with the trout. Beautiful place to fish and always have the places to myself.

522.jpg5222.jpg5226.jpg5224.jpg
            Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
            Predator 13

Comment

Nice report, that's a lot of pullage
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Fished Rose Haven a few times when Manny lived here, before he moved to Florida...caught some nice White Perch there, not a great memory of the muddy and stinky launch, though...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                  Karl, greetings from the Low Country. (Charleston SC). Still checking into Snaggedline every now and then and enjoy your and others posts and living vicariously through you guys. Always loved the bay fishery. Fishing down here is decent. Weather been epic for 2 months. Redfish bite is strong. A couple dozen to 31" last wk. Spanish Mackerel were all over the place. Caught a bunch in Folly Inlet (Can get squirely) and right in the marsh. Even on paddle tails mixed in with the trout. Beautiful place to fish and always have the places to myself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27604[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27605[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27606[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27607[/ATTACH]
                  Good to hear from you, Tim! Glad you're still enjoying yourself down there. Just keep watching out for those gators...

Comment

Working...
                  X