Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for Fishing Destination Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Fishing Destination Sunday?

I am moving from College Park to Columbia, MD on July 1st. As a result, I won't be able to fish as much for the next few weeks. I do have plans to go out on Sunday morning and am looking for suggestions. It seems like the Severn has not quite reached summertime levels and I suspect if you guys are only catching a few fish, then I will likely catch even less :--)

Rose Haven sounds interesting, but I won't be able to get there early enough to guarantee parking and it seems like a long paddle from Franklin Point or North Beach (I am still not great at estimating paddling time in new areas using a map...another area for improvement hopefully).

I am open to trying St Mary's county. Off the top of my head, those options are Point Lookout, Breton Bay, St Inigoes Landing (I don't see any public launches on St Inigoes Creek).

I get a ton of help from this board and am not asking anyone to give up their personal favorite spots...just looking for a nudge in the general direction. Now that I can troll with a modicum of competency, I should be able to cover more water while searching for fish and then, if possible, stop and cast if I feel like I am in a good spot. Also, if I feel like a spot should be holding more fish or bigger fish....I am going to try vertical jigging (thanks Big Mike)

Cannot thank all of you enough for the support. Two years ago I was starting every fishing trip at the local tackle shop buying live bait. I am catching more and better fish now without live bait....thank you :--)

Tight Lines Everyone!

What time of day are you trying to fish? The tides look favorable for both morning and evening trips. High tide approximately 416 am and 501 pm at Point Lookout, so that's falling tide at sunrise and sunset on a "newish" moon. Wind is really going to be a factor as well as the next few days of rain. Creeks are severely stained today after the massive amounts of rain we had last night. I think this is going to effect the pattern, just not sure how. I'm probably not going to be able to fish until Saturday evening, so that's the earliest I'd be able to report conditions.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I will be fishing in the morning on Sunday but not until an hour or two after sunset :--( I am still struggling with cartopping my Native Falcon 11 without help. I am awaiting delivery of a rhino rack t hitch loader that I think will solve the problem. In the meantime I am dependent on my buddy to help me load in the morning. Shooot....i had not thought of the rain. I hope mother nature will be kind over the next few days. Thank you.

Comment

The southern half of St Mary’s got pounded Last night with a thunderstorm that didn’t move. I fished Piney Point this morning with Ron and it was slow going, stained water, tons of grass, and lockjaw fish. Ron found a couple of specks late to salvage his day but not a day to write about. Looks like rain chance next 36 hours, which won’t help. In addition it’s just been a tough week of fishing. I’d wait for us to give better reports before making the trip down here.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thank you for the honest heads-up. It might be tough to convince my buddy to make the trip again soon if we drove two hours and got skunked. I will probably plan to stay closer to home this weekend. I am very intrigued by Rose Haven but don't know how to deal with the parking as there is no way i can get there before 6am on Sunday. It is nice to have lots of options and hopefully the fish will cooperate.

It is funny...two years ago, I would just go somewhere and dunk some worms and hope for the best.

Comment

You could try Severn or South River if you want to stay close to home. There might be some rockfish hanging around and you should be able to find enough perch to keep you occupied. I'm planning to make a trip to one of these two locations Saturday evening, I'll write a report when I get back. Sunday morning I'm going to try my hand at crabbing for the first time ever on the West River, using pull traps.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I have had one banner day in my last three outings...And it makes no sense...Teddy and I fished Saturday- it was my best day in a long time- 24 inch Speck, 21 inch Speck,three 19 inch Specks...more than a dozen quality stripers...at mid morning, full sun up, no less...Tuesday was a different day...I did OK...good quality stripers, one nice Speck...today, it was brutal...if you could get your lure ten yards without grass, you were doing great. Big Mike had to rescue my only fish for the first two hours of fishing that wrapped in my rudder...we launched at 5:15 am...it was a solid 7:30 before I had a fish...a school striper...at the end of the falling tide we were headed in- as we approached the launch, a 21 inch speck hit...Mike packed it in but I hung out for another thirty minutes or so...ended up with a 15, 15 1/2, and a 21 inch Speck...all released...we fished hard today...it only takes one fish but I would say it was not a great trip...Mike's advice is a good one...give it a few days to improve...
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-10-2021, 05:03 PM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I will definitely wait. I have come to learn to trust the advice on this forum. Thank you so much

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  I have had one banner day in my last three outings...And it makes no sense...Teddy and I fished Saturday- it was my best day in a long time- 24 inch Speck, 21 inch Speck,three 19 inch Specks...more than a dozen quality stripers...at mid morning, full sun up, no less...Tuesday was a different day...I did OK...good quality stripers, one nice Speck...today, it was brutal...if you could get your lure ten yards without grass, you were doing great. Big Mike had to rescue my only fish for the first two hours of fishing that wrapped in my rudder...we launched at 5:15 am...it was a solid 7:30 before I had a fish...a school striper...at the end of the falling tide we were headed in- as we approached the launch, a 21 inch speck hit...Mike packed it in but I hung out for another thirty minutes or so...ended up with a 15, 15 1/2, and a 21 inch Speck...all released...we fished hard today...it only takes one fish but I would say it was not a great trip...Mike's advice is a good one...give it a few days to improve...
                  Ron - I fished at four different spots in St Mary's County this week -- two on Mon and two others on Wed. My fishing experience was disappointing. Two of the spots had massive grass beds with clumps of floating grass that had broken loose. Trolling in places I would have liked to try was not possible. At the other two spots I found some floating grass too. On my second spot yesterday, the rising wind made for a difficult trip back to the launch. I caught at least one modest fish at each spot, but I had higher expectations.

When you plan a trip, you can look at wind and weather predictions and the tidal charts to select launch times and locations. But you cannot be sure until you are on the water and see what Mother Nature has in store for you. I will return later in the summer and hope for a better bite.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The Western Shore of Maryland shares the fish species of the Eastern Shore of Maryland at the same latitude, the same topography, the same grass-beds, channels, oyster beds, structure, etc. what we have on the Western shore is much more fishing pressure, more population, more boat traffic and easier access...that pressure equates to busts and boom fishing..."you should have been here yesterday" is the lament of high expectations and low realization...is there a guarantee "honey hole" of 100% success- No! Days of great fishing are scattered among dry holes of one or two fish days...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X