Up Jackson Creek Without a Paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up Jackson Creek Without a Paddle

I was excited to get out on Sunday. I had gotten new rod holders, a c-tug cart, a more comfortable pfd and a new selection of paddletails. I chose Jackson Creek because the winds were out of the South, so I thought Jackson Creek would be better than Goodhands, for example. When I arrived at Jackson Creek, it was a beautiful morning and the water was calm (almost like glass, but not quite). As I began setting up for a wonderful day of fishing I realized something was missing....I left my paddle at home.

I have never done that before. I spent so much focusing on the gear and tackle that I neglected something as basic and necessary as my paddle. I went home and reorganized my gear so that my yak, paddle and c-tug are bundled together.

First lost rod and first time forgetting paddle all within the last month or so ... ugh.

You are brave to admit your errors. Most of us have done similar things. If you worry about doing that again, make a checklist that you keep with your gear.

When I owned pedal drive kayaks, I left the pedal drive unit at home several times and had to fish with less efficient paddle power. The thing I forget most often is my water shoes. Normally I put them on before leaving the house. Occasionally I am distracted and realize part way to the launch that I am wearing street shoes instead. If I am not too far away, I circle back and get them.

A few years ago, I arrived at the Tucker St launch, began unloading the kayak, and realized that I had left the rods in the garage. Fortunately for me, I live only 10 mins from Tucker St and could go back and retrieve them.

The opposite scenario is worse. I recall arriving home after a trip, unloading the gear, and not finding my paddle. I quickly drove back to the launch spot where I had left the paddle leaning against a guard rail. No luck -- it was already gone. That was an expensive lesson that I have not repeated.

Regarding Jackson Creek, I am curious how you did.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I did not fish yesterday as I did not have a paddle and was a little frustrated. I looked around the shoreline and it seemed to be a lot of private residences so I did not think it would be wise to try to fish from shore.

My fishing partner Arron did fish for about four hours and caught one schooie rock and two cownose rays.

Comment

I’ve arrived at the ramp without my kayak which I trailer. 4AM will do that.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

LOL. That makes me feel better. Thank you :--)

Comment

UnkleRob,

Welcome to the club.

I've forgotten my paddle, and like John, I've forgotten my pedal drive. Forgetting the drive was a real bummer because my Revo paddles horribly with a gaping hole in the hull where the drive goes.

I created two checklists -- one for my pedal kayak and one for my paddle kayaks. There are differences in what I carry in each boat aside from a paddle and drive. I keep the checklists in my garage with my kayaks and I review them as I load up -- if I remember! And on occasion I still have forgotten something on the lists other than my paddle or drive. It happens to all of us.

So, a checklist will help but only if you remember to look at it.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Oh man that's a bummer. I keep my paddle, seat, PFD, net, and sometimes my pedal drive in my truck at all times so I will never forget them. If the pedal drive is not in the truck, usually after I've just washed it, then it is sitting in my kayak to air dry. Either way, I can't leave home without it. Unless I forget to bring my kayak like Mike

I have definitely left home and realized I forgot my tackle box, or grabbed the wrong tackle box for the trip. At least in those situations you can sort of make do with what you brought. One time I set out on a catfishing trip and realized I left the bait cooler in my kitchen! Luckily I realized this before I had even left my neighborhood so I was able to turn around and get it easily. If I had made it all the way to my destination without realizing I would have had a hell of a time trying to catch catfish with bare circle hooks haha!
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I've definitely forgotten my drive and paddle.
                Tight lines
                Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Like Mark, I to have forgotten my Hobie drive on one occasion. Fortunately, my buddy and I were just fishing one of the eastern shore millponds for pickerel that day, so paddling my Compass was manageable. Week before last I lost a good net on Triadelphia. I think it just slipped off the back on my kayak on the pedal back to the ramp.
                  - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                  Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Rob -
                    Real sorry to hear yesterday wasn't the best day on the water. Like everyone else here, I've been there; two weeks ago too.
                    On the way to Rose Haven, I went about a mile from the house and realized I had forgotten my phone. We have a long drive way we share with a neighbor so rather than doing a 12 point turn at the bottom with my truck and kayak, I parked at the top and ran down and back with phone; about 120 meters each way. So much for my pre-dawn launch. I made it about 5 miles this time and for whatever reason, realized I had forgotten my paddle. Debated whether to just launch without it but ultimately turned around, again, and repeated the run down the long driveway. My 0530 launch turned into a 0630 launch.

I have many checklists. Decades in the Army will do that to you. Unfortunately I didn't use it for that trip. Like Mark said, they are very helpful.

Hope you're able to get out and fish again soon!
                    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Happens to the best of us. I drove an hour and a half through Memorial Day weekend traffic only to realize I left my seat at home when I got to the launch. Checklists are your friend for sure.
                      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I appreciate all the support. It is nice to not feel alone ... especially amongst a group of accomplished anglers.

On the way home Sunday morning, I prayed (not pushing religion on anyone...it just works for me) and made a list of all the things for which I am grateful. By the time I was done with my gratitude list, I was in a very good mood and it was a beautiful morning. The day turned out to be quite nice.

I have created a checklist. I will check it every time. I have also bundled my paddle to my kayak.

As I continue to chart new fishing territory, I cannot help but wonder what will be my next gaffe :--)

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
                          As I continue to chart new fishing territory, I cannot help but wonder what will be my next gaffe :--)
                          Going to the launch on Wednesday when your friends agreed to meet on Thursday.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            Going to the launch on Wednesday when your friends agreed to meet on Thursday.
                            I did something similar but probably worse.

While in SC last month, I set up 3 days of fishing with a great guide around the Pawleys island area.

After 2 great days on the water, I couldn’t wait for the last trip as it was the day before we had drive back to MD. I showed up at the launch ready to go but my guide and kayaks were nowhere in sight. Waited about a half hour before I had a sinking suspicion. Checked my emails and yup, I scheduled that last trip for the next day…..the day we had to drive home and could not change plans.
                            I wish could say that my drive back to where we were staying an hour away was as calm and composed as Rob’s but it wasn’t even close. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Working...
                            X