Summer has arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer has arrived

Caught my first Cutlass fish of the year, a sure sign that summer has arrived. And yes, they are tasty.

This one was in the Patuxent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Summer solstice!

I’ve never had cutlass fish before. Any advice on cleaning/cooking them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Nice catch. My one and only cutlassfish came during the meet and greet you hosted at Piney Point several summers ago.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
        Summer solstice!

I’ve never had cutlass fish before. Any advice on cleaning/cooking them?

You can filet them just like a regular fish. I just run a blade from the head to the tail down the backbone. Very small gut area. Do not try to skin them, I just leave it on. You’ve got a strip of meat that’s about the thickness of bacon and you’ll end up mangling the meat trying to get the skin off. Only takes about 30 seconds to cook, it will curl up as the skin shrinks and if you use some Cajun seasoning or paprika it will tint the meat so it kind of looks like bacon.
        Mike

Comment

Nice catch, that would be a fun one to add to my all-time species list...
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
            Nice catch, that would be a fun one to add to my all-time species list...
            Ditto! Thanks for the cleaning/cooking advice too!

Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Based on Mike's recommendation I tried them last year...i actually targeted them and caught a stringer full...the cleaning was a bit difficult even with a very sharp filet knife...cooking was straight forward as Mike states...taste was mild fish...not anything I would shy away from...thin filets that cook almost instantly...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

They are a pain in the butt to filet. This is how I debone the fish after cooking them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EFu2HmM4vNM&t=55

Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

I have to agree to disagree on hard to filet. I had mine cleaned in about a minute. The backbone is well defined and the rib cage is very fine bones that I cut through coming down the backbone. I then just cut them out off the filet. With no need to skin it it’s basically just 2 cuts.
                  Mike

Comment

How do you target these fish, specifically? They seem like the kind of thing you'd catch on accident while fishing for other species (like how I caught my one and only houndfish while using a spook for rockfish).
                    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

When I caught one trolling inside the jetty at Point Lookout, I turned around and trolled back and forth through the exact same course catching four more Cutlassfish
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

i didn't know these came up to Point Lookout. it's always been on my list of fish to catch, but only heard about them being down in the Kiptopeke area. I'm going to have to take a trip to PLO soon.

Comment

I caught one yesterday near Solomon’s, today in Breton Bay.
                          Mike

Comment

We have caught them down south from the boat, but last year I got one yaking for specs on the Great Wicomico . Nasty creatures. I was not aware that they were tasty. Maybe I'll give your bacon cooking a shot if I get into them again. Thanks, Dave

IMG_20201001_185158862.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
                              Ditto! Thanks for the cleaning/cooking advice too!

Agreed! I never caught one or even tasted one.
                              MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                              2016 Hobie Outback LE
                              Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                              X