Odd Breton Bay Super Slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Breton Bay Super Slam

The weather forecast for today wasn’t very good, but the early winds looked favorable and I told my wife I’d fish Breton Bay in case a thunderstorm popped up. Launched a little after 5 and didn’t get 3’ before a bluefish bit off my paddle tail. Rerigged and headed to my favorite jigging spot with no other bites along the way. Jigging gave me a few medium to small stripers and aggressive perch that think they’re Leroy Brown. And just like that the fish evaporated. So I said I’ll go perching.

I threw out my paddle tail to travel to the perch are when a fish hit my lure. After a brief fight I caught my second Cutlassfish in as many days. Apparently they love the butt naked Bass Assassin.

I started a combo of trolling my big nose spinner in 3-4’ of water and casting to docks as I came to them. Both produced lots of 6” perch with an occasional 8”. I’d finished casting a dock and threw out the spinner to begin my troll when something bigger hit the lure. The initial fight I thought a 12-14” striper. But when the fish came up and saw the boat it took off pulling drag, it was a large speckled trout. After a prolonged for me battle I got my grips on it. Super fat 21 1/2” speck.

At this point the winds were picking up so I decided to call it a morning. I started trolling again when it felt like I picked up a piece of grass. Reeled in and the opposite of large was on the hook.

So I had a 5 species day. Not our SMOG Slam, no redfish, but a unique one nonetheless. Glad I snuck out this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Sounds like a really fun multi-species day. Nice trout!
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
    X