Solley Cove update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solley Cove update

I went out on Wednesday morning and Thursday evening with both times the gate was open to the new launch. I was able to catch multiple species as usual and watched a gorgeous sunset last night. Also caught a few hunch backs. Anyone else been catching these? Be safe everyone and tight lines.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

That's a nice sunset photo.

That's a strange striper deformity. I wonder what causes it?

I've never caught one like those. But I did catch a pug-nose striper in Whitehall Bay years ago:

P1010251.jpg P1010250.jpg

Given its size, it survived at least 3 years. I wondered how it could catch bait fish with essentially no upper lip. But it chased down my lure successfully.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The bent spine in stripers is not very common, but it does occur. In all my years of fishing, I have caught two of them. To catch two on the same trip in the same spot is remarkable. DNR had a short article on both the bent spine and pugnose deformities. See Unusual Striper Caught in the Potomac River (maryland.gov).

Here is the last one I caught in 2016 in Eastern Bay. It was about 20" long.

001.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks John.

Interesting.

I hope that pugnose fish I caught has survived and is 30 inches now.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

the pugnose striper reminds me of...
          french fried minners.jpg
          -Justin

Comment

Thinking of trying Solley's Cove tomorrow. Is there a locked gate?

Last time I checked, tomorrow morning looked windy, so I was planning to give Weems a shot, but maybe Solley's would be worth a try. I have never been there and the recent reports from Weems have not been great.

Trying to find a place to fish for a few hours in the morning where I will not get beaten up by the wind.

Thank you,

Rob

Comment

Anything about that launch that is helpful to know ahead of time? I think that's where I am headed tomorrow. Winds look a lot better (if I am reading Windfinder correctly) at Solley's than they do at the Severn or at Eastern Bay.

If there is a gate code or anything unusual about the launch, a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rob

Comment

No gate code. I was there around 7am and it was open. The wind can be a little rough if it's coming from the north or the west but it has never been as bad as the Severn. There is decent boat traffic so just be aware when you run across the middle channel. I typically troll a beetle spin and/or a swim bait. Top water works pretty well. Either direction from the launch produce fish. One way seems to hold larger fish the other numbers. Perch, spot, stripper, cats, and other species too. Also don't have to go far at all to start hooking up.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

For you folks who fish Pasadena waters, you might also want to consider the Locust Cove launch at Downs Park.

It turns out that today is the 3rd anniversary of the launch officially opening.

What I like about it is the access it grants to four creeks and the Patapsco River too. Given the geographic layout of the creeks, and numerous coves, you can always find leeside protection somewhere regardless of the speed or direction of the wind.

There is an entry fee to the park if you do not have a pass.

https://www.pasadenavoice.com/storie...ns-park,10117?
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

I caught a tiny rockfish with lordosis at Piney Point last weekend.
                    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
                    X