Little Choptank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Choptank

Yesterday I launched very early into the Little Choptank River. John Rentch had arrived ahead of me and was already fishing. The height differential from the 2:45 am high to the 10:27 am low was predicted to be 1.5 ft (quite good).

madison - july 7 tides.jpg

Winds were forecast for 5-6 mph from the SW (a direction that would be blocked by the land mass) allowing for easy trolling close to the shoreline. I had great expectations for strong moving tidal current past several points. But at 6:00 am, the actual water level was already quite low and dropping.

I trolled three lines, and was anticipating a bunch of hits as I paddled out to the main river from the sheltered bay where I launched. I was surprised when nothing bit. After 45 minutes of trolling past points that usually produce, I had a rod go down without much shaking. As I wound it in, the fish woke up and became active. I was delighted to find a 20" speck to bring home for dinner. A few minutes later I caught a 21" striper nearby.

The predicted wind direction was inaccurate. Instead of SW, the wind came from the NW, which allowed waves to build to about 1.5 ft. It was not much fun trying to paddle through waves of this size. After a few passes there, I crossed to the far side of the river and worked past another point. On the first pass, I caught a 22" striper in water less than 3' deep. A moment later, a second speck hit the other line. I was optimistic that I had found a productive spot. But it was not to be. I explored more shallow areas around there as the sun and temperature rose to near 95 deg. I soon realized that I was unlikely to find many more fish. I turned and made the long paddle back to the launch. I trolled for much of the way, but had no more hits.

My final count for the 4-hour trip was 6 stripers, 2 specks, and 1 oyster toadfish that bit a 3" paddletail drifting along the bottom as I untangled two other lines. The area where I fished was productive a few weeks ago and also last October. I think the water is now too warm to support a good bite there until late summer. The trout was quite tasty, and the fresh eastern shore corn on the cob from a farm stand was delicious.

eastern shore dinner.jpg

On the negative side of the ledger, I lost a St Croix Premier spinning rod with Stradic reel overboard near the start of the trip. That combo has caught a lot of fish for me -- I guess it earned its retirement.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Happy you found a quality speck up your way. Bummer on the rod, that was not only memories, but some $$$ as well.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for the great report and for making me hungry! I’m still searching for my first speck…

Very sorry about your rod/reel, though a somewhat fitting way to go rather than collecting dust in an old garage.

I still have a St Croix Premier rod that you gave me an awesome deal on several years ago in Odenton. By far still my favorite rod. I have an older Stradic on it as well. You passed your magic along with that rod. Hope your replacement rod is even better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
        Thanks for the great report and for making me hungry! I’m still searching for my first speck…

Very sorry about your rod/reel, though a somewhat fitting way to go rather than collecting dust in an old garage.

I still have a St Croix Premier rod that you gave me an awesome deal on several years ago in Odenton. By far still my favorite rod. I have an older Stradic on it as well. You passed your magic along with that rod. Hope your replacement rod is even better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike - I'm glad that you continue to use and enjoy the rod I sold you.

I have a 25+ year old St Croix Premier 3-piece travel rod that rarely gets used (7' medium). I decided to put it into regular service in place of the lost rod. I already had a new Stradic 2500 reel in the garage in anticipation of just such a loss. This morning I spooled the new reel and placed the rod in my garage rod rack. Life goes on.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Now that you have had your Falcon for a while, could you give an updated review. I am most interested in how it handles in wind & current and how comfortable it is for a full day paddling.
          15’ Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler
          12’ Blue Wilderness Pungo

Comment

Thank you for the report John. I am cautiously optimistic that this year may be the year I catch my first speck. The first time I saw one in person was when you caught one on Eastern Bay...I guess that was about 6 weeks ago?

Life keeps interfering with my fishing time, but I am hoping to get out soon. I love reading these reports and living vicariously through my fellow anglers. It is the next best thing to being on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post
              John,

Now that you have had your Falcon for a while, could you give an updated review. I am most interested in how it handles in wind & current and how comfortable it is for a full day paddling.
              According to my notes, I have fished 17 days from the Falcon 11, and caught 365 fish during those trips (mainly stripers). All but the first day were primarily trolling trips. For shorter trips, when I am mainly casting to shorelines, I use my other older 11' kayak, a Native Manta Ray 11. It is lighter and easier to maneuver. The Falcon is lighter than many other paddle kayaks, plus I am able to transport it fully inside my minivan (saves time and strain on my back).

As I have posted on Snaggedline previously, I upgraded the rod holders for trolling. I also installed a Lowrance 5" Hook2 FF/GPS. I use that mainly for tracking my trolling routes and marking waypoints. These two modifications have made the Falcon 11 an outstanding compact trolling platform. I am a large guy (6'4", 245 lbs) but still feel comfortable in the Falcon seat and cockpit.

The Falcon has a comfortable raised seat with high/low positions (I use only the low position). Although I never stand up in a kayak, the floor space is suitable for standing and offers non-skid pads. I carry two Plano waterproof tackle trays. One sits on the left side of the seat in a built-in notch, and the larger one sits just behind the seat (not in the tank well, but resting against the seat. The small storage bin cover in front of the seat is good for holding a few lures and my VHF radio. Inside the bin, I store a spool of leader material and two scupper plugs. Speaking of scupper plugs, I removed the two plugs underneath the foot rests to make sure that water does not accumulate in the cockpit area. Unlike another kayak I owned, the floor of the Falcon 11 sits high enough that water can slosh in and out but does not pool up on the floor. I can store my Hawg Trough under a bungee cord on the front hatch where it is readily accessible if I choose to measure a fish.

The Falcon paddles and turns easily. I use a 240 cm paddle -- a longer paddle would work too. On calm water it tracks very well. I can keep up a speed of 2.7 to 3.0 mph with an easy, steady paddle stroke. If I am going into chop, the speed slows down. The width of the Falcon hull, which adds stability, does not plow easily through chop of 1 to 2 ft. I still gets there, but the speed drops off.

I have noticed that if I am paddling across a body of water with the waves coming at an angle to the direction I am heading, the bow tends to swing so the kayak is perpendicular to the wind direction. It is not a major problem, and I have not been tempted to add a rudder. I owned another kayak before this that had the same issue, but to a larger extent. I can easily adjust by varying my paddle stroke (hard on one side, lighter on the other side).

Regarding comfort, during the trip I described above, I was on the water for over 4 hours and paddled more than 9 miles.

The Falcon comes with a small wheel mounted on the stern. This is a great time saver if I want to roll the kayak across a paved surface or down a concrete boat ramp. Few other small kayaks offer this feature.

In conclusion, I am quite pleased with the Falcon 11. For the sake of full disclosure, I had been associated with Native Watercraft for most of the past 8 years on their Pro Staff team. During those years, I never considered purchasing any other kayak brand. I left Native in April and bought the Falcon 11 at full retail price from a Maryland dealer the following week. If I were shopping for a lightweight, but full-featured paddle kayak, I would certainly put the Falcon 11 at the top of my list. CHOC recently posted a video on Snaggedline about a Crescent kayak that is lightweight. I don't know much about Crescent, their dealer network, warranty, or reliability, but would probably take a look at that kayak too. If you have any other specific questions about the Falcon 11, feel free to send me a pmail.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Working...
              X