West River - new water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West River - new water

Lately I've been trying out a "new to me" launch site: Galesville Wharf on the West River. It's a convenient little soft launch about 10 minutes from my house, I'm not sure why I waited so long to try it out. There's a small parking lot that holds maybe a dozen cars and paved path that goes from the lot about ~100ft to a sandy soft launch at the base of a public pier. Very easy to rig up in the parking lot then wheel your kayak right over to the launch.

On my first trip a couple weeks ago I went out crabbing from the kayak and didn't do great. I caught a lot of females (some of them BIG), but eventually found some nice males. Only caught 9 keepers. I talked to other crabbers in the same area the next day and they didn't do well either, one guy said it was something to do with the current lunar cycle.

A couple days ago I decided to go back and try fishing. The goal was to catch some perch for the table and keep the carcasses for crab bait. This time I fished upriver of the launch, primarily targeting shady areas with fallen trees, and caught 13 perch, 1 rockfish, and 1 croaker. A couple of the perch were nice ones, probably around 10". I also made a friend while on the water... this little guy was working the shoreline digging up clams and munching on them, he didn't seem the least bit bothered to share the cove with me while I sought out perch.

20210706_193109.jpg 20210707_124137.jpg

All in all it's a decent little spot to fish that I don't hear many others talk about. I'll definitely be going back, especially considering how close to home and convenient it is. This portion of the river has several marinas so it can get busy with power boat, sail boat, and jet ski traffic, but I believe there are no-wake buoys so most of these boats go very slow. There are also TONs of docks along the shorelines if that's your thing - I prefer to fish natural shorelines/structure over docks.
    Last edited by dsaavedra; 07-09-2021, 12:49 PM.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

A buddy of mine used to have a Raccoon that he raised from a kit and walked it on a leash like a dog. He taught it to dig for clams on the beach which he would use for bait.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Nice photo of the raccoon.

One of the many things I enjoy about kayak fishing is that it allows us to get close to our environment. I think we're less threatening to wildlife while we're sitting in our kayaks than we are on foot or certainly in a large boat.

No photo, but yesterday in the Magothy I saw an osprey struggling to find lift with a channel catfish in its talons that was as long as the osprey's entire body. It finally made it to height and flew off with a big meal.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
      X