Severn update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn update

The Severn River and its tidal creeks and ponds are my home waters. I fished in 9 different creeks and ponds on 10 trips so far during July. Since July 16, I did not target stripers and looked primarily for perch. On most of those trips of 2 to 3 hours, I worked very hard to find a few perch. Before this morning's trip, I averaged just 12 perch out of many casts each trip. I was glad to get out for short trips, but was not thrilled with the catching.

This morning, I visited a Severn tidal creek where I had not been since January 2 (and on that day I was skunked). During the first 20 minutes, I could not get a bite. Then I moved on to a stretch of shoreline that has produced in the past. Suddenly the perch were very interested. Once I left that shoreline -- no bites until I got to another short productive stretch (there were three productive stretches today). When I got home I used Google Maps to estimate the percentage of shorelines that I fished today that was productive. Only 20% of the shoreline produced perch catches, whereas the other 80% produced none. To my human eye, there was little difference between the hot shorelines and the cold shorelines. But there must have been something under the water that the perch liked. Most of the other creeks and ponds show a similar pattern. Learning which are the hot stretches takes some time, but can pay off. Here is a photo of one of the three productive stretches today.

2021-04-11-002.jpg

Given my recent perch catches, I was happy after reaching 10 perch, then 15 perch. But wait -- there's more! When the fish were not biting in one area, I kept and moved on to another area. During the first 2.5 hours, I caught and released 50 perch, some of which were over 10". In addition, I caught three pickerel. The first one was noteworthy because it is the second smallest pickerel I ever hooked (roughly 8" -- not even big enough to be called a hammer handle). 48 of the perch and 2 of the pickerel bit a Bignose spinner. 2 perch and 1 pickerel hit a 3" paddletail.

2021-04-11-001.jpg

I caught the tiny pickerel within 50 yards of where I had caught my personal best 24.5" pickerel last November. It is good to see that they are reproducing at that location.

As I worked well up into the head end of the tidal creek, I spotted what looked like a few pieces of lumber shoved up under trees on the sloped shoreline. Upon closer examination, this turned out to be a badly decayed hull of a large wooden boat. The old engine still sits in the middle of the hull. This was a pleasant historical surprise to add to a highly productive fishing trip.

2021-04-11-003.jpg

I finished up after 3 hours and was home in plenty of time for lunch.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That pickerel is so small almost musky coloring. Very informative post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      That pickerel is so small almost musky coloring. Very informative post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed that the coloration was not the typical chain pattern. I can't imagine any pike family member other than a chain pickerel in water that was saline enough to support jellyfish.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Cool report, glad to hear of some fish being caught in the Severn creeks. I know they have been slow this year from personal experience and from reading reports here and elsewhere. I'm looking forward to fishing the Severn in the fall when the rockfish move in to get fat and then in the winter when the pickerel are willing to play.

That old boat wreck is really cool!!
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

The color patterns on juvenile Esoxids are remarkably similar, and not the best way to tell the species apart at that size. They develop their more characteristic patterns as they get a little bigger. However, that dark line extending down from the eye is the dead give away that this is a pickerel, no matter what age they are.
          - Cliff

Hobie Compass
          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Neat baby pickerel, John! Thanks for the great report!

Comment

Cliff -- That's interesting about Esox family markings as juveniles. I didn't know that.

Dave -- I've actually done quite well this summer with pickerels in creeks of the Magothy, Patapsco and Severn. I've caught them while fishing for perch. I've caught one or two on most of my perch outings in those creeks. Their activity has been a pleasant surprise and I hope it bodes well for the fall. It has been far different than a few short years ago when they were very rare catches at any time of year in our tidal creeks. The other interesting thing is that when we started catching them again many were adults -- in other words, they were obviously of an age to have been present when we rarely caught them. Where they went or what they did in that interval when they avoided our lures and flies remains a mystery. So...keep fishing. I think you'll run into a few of them even now.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That is great news from John and everyone else on this thread. The last couple of months have been very humbling. Logistical issues with cartopping my kayak solo, forgetting my paddle and then days on the water getting skunked have taken their toll.

My Native Falcon 11 is too much kayak for me to lift over my head (I am 5'5") and secure it on top of my car without assistance. I foolishly ordered some accessories to assist in the cartopping, but they did not work out as expected. Hopefully I can sell them and recover at least a portion of the cost.

I tested a system with a trailer hitch loader that pivots and it worked great. I secured one end to the trailer hitch and then lifted up the other end and walked the kayak to the front of the car while the hitch mount pivoted...this way I always had two points of contact on the kayak. The parts have arrived and I hope to install them this week.

I hope to be able to post something positive soon :--)

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
                  That is great news from John and everyone else on this thread. The last couple of months have been very humbling. Logistical issues with cartopping my kayak solo, forgetting my paddle and then days on the water getting skunked have taken their toll.

My Native Falcon 11 is too much kayak for me to lift over my head (I am 5'5") and secure it on top of my car without assistance. I foolishly ordered some accessories to assist in the cartopping, but they did not work out as expected. Hopefully I can sell them and recover at least a portion of the cost.

I tested a system with a trailer hitch loader that pivots and it worked great. I secured one end to the trailer hitch and then lifted up the other end and walked the kayak to the front of the car while the hitch mount pivoted...this way I always had two points of contact on the kayak. The parts have arrived and I hope to install them this week.

I hope to be able to post something positive soon :--)
                  Glad you found a solution that works for you. I can picture how that pivoting thing works and it seems like a clever solution.
                  Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                  2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
                  X