Solley's On Saturday, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solley's On Saturday, Anyone?

I am planning to go back to Solleys on Saturday morning if anyone would like to join. I did not catch a ton of fish last week, but it was a nice paddle and I am hopeful that with some lighter tackle, I may find some of the perch that Cliff mentioned :--)

I've gone three times this week. Son has lax tryouts or would join. Bettle spin with gulp 1" minnow body has landed me perch, cats and stripers. Nothing of incredible size but on UL hear and 4lb test it's still a lot of fun. Good luck.

Anyone know when and if they close the gate I get nervous coming back in at 830. I want to stay out a little longer for some cats.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Last week I was fishing with a large beetlespin and kept dragging bottom. I think it may have been either 1/4 oz or maybe even possibly 1/2oz. I am glad that I was with Cliff as he pointed out that my beetlespin was much heavier than his. I couldn't understand why I kept dragging.

I picked up some 1/8 oz and 1/16 oz beetlespins this week and they are much, much smaller than what I was using last week. I also picked up some 2" grubs. I am not sure if this is a dumb question, but if you are putting grubs on the beetlespin, does that mean you remove the body that comes with the lure, or do you just add the grub to the end?

Agreed, nothing I caught last week was very big, but it is a nice paddle and I wasn't getting run over by jet skis or blocked off by crabbers.

Comment

I typically use the larger blades to add lift and they will spin at slow speeds. Then use a smaller jig head 1/16 or so maybe smaller. I don't use the bodies from the beetle spin at all and just replace them with the gulp 1" minnow. I did try a 2" lake fork swim body with some success as well. If I don't use gulp I add procure to any other plastic I use. Also to save some money typically I can rig the minnow right side up, upside down, on its side , on the other side, u can use it when it's all torn up just keep rotating it. Also I troll mostly, take pauses often, I typically get hit when I'm not paddling. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

That is great. Thank you very much.

Comment

I typically buy the spinners, jigheads, and plastic grubs separately so I can put my own combinations together. Anglers in Annapolis usually has the spinners in stock. If you are using the premade Beetlespins, I would encourage you to use the plastic bodies that come with them as they themselves are really good. Once the fish wear them out, you can use whatever plastic body you want. The Gulp Minnows work great too, but I have rarely found them to be necessary to catch a bunch of perch in the summer.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
            X