The right place at the right time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right place at the right time

This morning John Rentch and I fished in three different tidal creeks/ponds in the Severn. I got underway a minute or two ahead of him, and trolled three lines with paddletails as I moved from the launch to our first casting destination. I had no bites while trolling. But as I approached the entrance to our destination and began winding in lines, I spotted a few large splashes over a small area just to my right. I grabbed one rod and cast out to where the splashes had been. I immediately hooked up to an 18"-20" striper. I wound up the remaining lines and kept casting to the same area. I hooked fish on every cast for a while. I stopped after catching 12 stripers (most were smaller than the first). John joined me after my first few fish, and he caught several stripers too. I just happened to be in the right place at the right moment. Two minutes earlier or two minutes later, and I would not have noticed that short-lived splashing. Sometimes you just get lucky. Over our 3.5 hours on the water, I caught 18 perch and 17 stripers.

I had a similar experience in a different Severn creek two days earlier. I was casting a spinner to the shoreline for perch and noticed three larger splashes behind me. Without winding in the perch lure, I grabbed a second rod with a white paddletail and cast in the direction of the splashes. I immediately hooked up with a 21" striper.

It really pays off to pay attention to what is happening around you.

We encountered quite a few small schools of baitfish that rippled the otherwise calm surface of the water. At one point during the trip, I looked on the floor of my kayak and saw a live peanut bunker wriggling around. I held it on my leg with a 3" paddletail above it and a 4" paddletail below it for a photo (sorry about the poor quality of the photo -- my lens may have been fogged up).

2021-04-11-001.jpg

These paddletails definitely "match the hatch". Those baitfish should remain in the Severn through much of Sept. If they stack up in certain areas, stripers and bluefish can be good trolling targets. I prefer light colored paddletails when the fish are feeding on the silvery peanut bunker. Pearl/white and chartreuse are my favorite colors, but the fish hit other bright colors too.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John, I know exactly what you mean. I was fishing a Severn creek the other day and the water about 30 yards behind me just erupted with fish breaking the surface. It lasted for all of 10 seconds. I paddled over there and caught 2 rockfish on two casts, then as quickly as they started, they vanished.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Number 1 rule of breaking fish, they always move away from your kayak, never towards
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thank you for the reports John and Dave. My experience with Rule #1 is the same as Mike's. Perhaps I will get out on the Severn sometime in the next couple of weeks. My last trip was humbling and I still have a bitter taste in my mouth. Of course, the problem is that I went into that trip with "expectations" from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Number 1 rule of breaking fish, they always move away from your kayak, never towards
          Seems that way, for sure...especially Spanish Mackerel busting bay anchovies...it is nearly impossible to keep up with them...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            Seems that way, for sure...especially Spanish Mackerel busting bay anchovies...it is nearly impossible to keep up with them...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X