Red fish at morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red fish at morning

I’ve had the opportunity to fish the same spot the last two days in the slower lower, and achieved slams both days. On Sunday I fished with Ron and he got the SMOG slam of striper, red, trout and perch, along with a cutlass fish. I didn’t get a red but got striper, trout, perch, lizard, and cutlass fish.

We found the majority of our fish by trolling along the edge of a grass bed, as best as we could follow it. If you were 20’ off the grass you probably weren’t getting a bite.

Today I fished with Doug and had a super Slam by catching 6 different species in my first 7 fish. In order, Cutlass, trout, perch, redfish, lizard and then a 19” striper. The trout was 21” and the red a true puppy.

Today the grassbeds weren’t producing like yesterday so we moved towards the drop off from the flats. I put on a Gulp swimming mullet and started bottom bouncing hoping to add a flounder to the mix. Doug said he found some perch so I started to troll over when my rod doubled over, thinking at first CNR, but head shake said fish. After a spirited fight I had my personal best red fish, 22”.

Within a minute Doug yells big fish, he got a 22” red as well.

After that the tide waned along with the fishing. Not a lot of fish, but boy were they great fish .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Sounds like a hell of a couple days Mike! Congrats on the PB red.

I need to make another trip down there sometime soon... I'll give you a heads up if/when I do, maybe we can fish again!
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Great work Mike. I hope to give your waters a try next week.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Awesome morning! Wrapping up my chores and I hope to get out this evening
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Excellent variety Mike.

That's a unique spot pattern on your first redfish. You didn't do that with a Sharpie, did you?
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Compared to this one Ron got, mine is third grade art

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike,

That's funny.

I've heard there are contests in TX and LA to see who can catch the red with the most spots.

I think Ron's would place highly in such a contest.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X