Hot bite for two hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot bite for two hours

During 2020, I launched five times from the Jackson Creek launch near Kent Narrows to fish in the Chester River http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...=jackson+creek . Today was my second visit there in 2021. On the first visit in 2020, I trolled paddletails in different directions seeing what I could find. I discovered a location in 4 to 5 feet water depth near a group of several waterfront homes. The bite in that area was outstanding -- I called this small zone the "Hot Spot". Every time I returned to Jackson Creek, I made sure to troll through that area. And on all dates, the Hot Spot produced. Once I left this zone of roughly 200 yards long by 50 yards wide, I had very few bites.

This morning I chose to launch at Jackson Creek because the winds were coming from the south. The Grasonville shoreline blocks much of the wind close to shore, particularly in the vicinity of the Hot Spot. I was able to paddle and troll in calm waters with an outgoing tide. In the first 30 mins, I caught an 18" speck and a 23" striper. Over the first two hours, I caught 8 stripers, including two at 21", a 22", two more at 23", and a 25" -- all in the Hot Spot. I can't think of any other shallow water trolling spot that offers the potential of that many quality fish within 30 minutes of home. Here is a photo of the first 23" striper.

2021-04-11-001.jpg

I left biting fish to travel some distance away to check out perch in a tidal pond. That part of the trip was fruitless as I found no perch and had a long paddle back to the launch with some wind in my face.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Outstanding day John. Glad to see some specks made it up your way
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

That sounds great John. Sounds like you were in "the right place at the right time" again. It is nice to know that fish that size are being caught in shallow water. I have been having fun on the Patapsco, but I have not caught anything larger than 18" in the last couple of weeks.

Thank you for giving me some hope

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
        That sounds great John. Sounds like you were in "the right place at the right time" again. It is nice to know that fish that size are being caught in shallow water. I have been having fun on the Patapsco, but I have not caught anything larger than 18" in the last couple of weeks.

Thank you for giving me some hope
        Rob - Keep getting out on the water and you will see your catches improve over time. July and August are not the easiest months to find large fish close to home. Things should improve as the weather cools off.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Low light...hot summer time has always favored early mornings and late evenings bites...fresh and salt water fishing share this fact...being on the water at the break of day or sunset...we usually get two hours of good fishing...occasionally extended, but normally the bite drops off as the sun gets higher...especially on the flats...getting up at three am, getting to the launch in dusky darkness, wearing a head lamp, light on the carbon visipole...20 ounce 7-11 coffee...my summertime routine.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I do not know why I hadn't thought of a a headlamp....thank you, Ron. I have been using a camping lantern to facilitate early morning launches, but I have to carry it from car to ramp and back, etc.

I have no idea what a carbon visipole is, but it sounds like something I should investigate :--)

Comment

I do not know why I hadn't thought of a a headlamp....thank you, Ron. I have been using a camping lantern to facilitate early morning launches, but I have to carry it from car to ramp and back, etc.

I have no idea what a carbon visipole is, but it sounds like something I should investigate :--)
              It's a flag/light combo to make yourself more visible to other boaters: https://www.yakattack.us/V2FM_FPG_p/v2fm-fpg.htm There is also a slightly more expensive version that collapses and fits into a pouch (the pouch is actually the flag itself, pretty neat). https://www.yakattack.us/CPM_p/cpm.htm

On the surface these seem WAY too expensive for what they are - a flashlight on a stick - but they are actually pretty nice. I used a DIY version for a while and it rusted all up and went dim. I broke down and bought the collapsible Visicarbon Pro and don't regret it at all.
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
                It's a flag/light combo to make yourself more visible to other boaters: https://www.yakattack.us/V2FM_FPG_p/v2fm-fpg.htm There is also a slightly more expensive version that collapses and fits into a pouch (the pouch is actually the flag itself, pretty neat). https://www.yakattack.us/CPM_p/cpm.htm

On the surface these seem WAY too expensive for what they are - a flashlight on a stick - but they are actually pretty nice. I used a DIY version for a while and it rusted all up and went dim. I broke down and bought the collapsible Visicarbon Pro and don't regret it at all.
                They also sell an upgrade kit that uses 4 LED lights instead of the standard 2 LED's that come with the Visipole.
                "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Thank you Ron. I really like the one that collapses and fits in the pouch. Now that I am able to load/unload independently, I anticipate more pre-dawn launches and this looks great. I agree that it is a little pricey for a "flashlight on a stick" but the added safety makes it worth it. I have launched at Jonas Green in the dark and almost gotten run over by commercial crabbers more than once. My vehicle is small and the collapsable model will be a great fit, so to speak. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you Ron. I really like the one that collapses and fits in the pouch. Now that I am able to load/unload independently, I anticipate more pre-dawn launches and this looks great. I agree that it is a little pricey for a "flashlight on a stick" but the added safety makes it worth it. I have launched at Jonas Green in the dark and almost gotten run over by commercial crabbers more than once. My vehicle is small and the collapsable model will be a great fit, so to speak. Thank you.
                    I have the collapsible model and it fits inside the front hatch in my kayak so that's where I store it when not in use. It's nice to always have it if I need it and it's one less thing to remember to bring from home.
                    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I took two trips this week over the Bay Bridge to check out launches I had never used. The first, on Monday, was Shipping Creek launch off Romancoke Road on Kent Island. Beautiful, paved launch with plenty of parking for cars and trailers ( I recently purchased a kayak trailer). No one there. Pedaled around for 2 and 1/2 hours in water 3-5 feet deep and 82 degrees. Caught a few perch and one 14” Striper. The deeper water/drop offs had commercial crabbers on it and my experience has been to give them a wide berth. I’ll go back in colder weather/water. The second trip ( Thursday) was Jackson Creek launch. Plenty of parking and , as J. Vail notes, an area protected from the wind. My experience wasn’t as prolific as J.’s, but I got to familiarize myself with a new fishing are to which I will return during better conditions. Thanks J.V. for suggesting this launch. Al

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                        They also sell an upgrade kit that uses 4 LED lights instead of the standard 2 LED's that come with the Visipole.
                        The 4 LED upgrade makes a huge difference on the visipole. It’s almost a must upgrade for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Working...
                        X