Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Sunday? - Considering Slower Lower

Good afternoon Everyone,

I am looking for suggestions for fishing destinations on Sunday. If I stay around here, I have been having fun at Solley's (although fish have been small) and I know John had a good experience at Jackson Creek.

This weekend I do not have any committments and could justify the trip to St Mary's. As the week goes on, if anyone has any suggestions of where to launch and/or approximate areas to fish, I would be grateful. I am not looking for top secret information....just a nudge in the right direction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rob

I, too, was thinking about going to St. Mary's for the weekend. Need to see how the storms predicted in the forecast this week pan out.

I'll probably launch at Piney Point if I do go, unless any of the SMOG have better suggestions!
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Sunday is like 50 years away from a wind forecast perspective. We can give input around a Friday.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

LOL. I had a feeling that I was a little early. Thank you Mike

Comment

Is there a gate at Piney Point?

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
            Is there a gate at Piney Point?
            No gate. Plenty of parking in a paved lot with paved boat ramp for a very easy launch.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Thank you Dave. I will be keeping an eye on weather conditions as Sunday draws nearer.

Comment

I’m not trying to dissuade anyone but fishing has been difficult. Yes we’re getting one or 2 trophy fish, but that’s it, and skunks are not out of the discussion. Water temp is 83+ and storms have released a ton of grass. Today I fished PP with John V, we each caught 1 fish, very nice fish, but just 1. Spent more time cleaning grass than I did fishing, and I never made it to the grass beds because of winds. Hopefully have better news soon, but right now it’s poor.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I've been wondering how the storms would impact fishing, and that's why I'm still on the fence about making the trip this weekend. It seems the storms aren't even finished yet.... I need to come up with a local backup plan
                  Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Thank you for the update Mike. St Mary's is a long haul for me. I think I would have to wake up at 2am to get there at dawn. Unless conditions improve, I will probably wait.

Side note: I have been fishing Solley's Cove with a fair amount of success with rather small fish. I have paddled along the shoreline to the left (North-Northesast, I think). I have paddled a fair distance and have not come close to Rams Head. Is it possible that I am heading into Marley Creek and have left the main stem of Curtis Creek? SOunds like maybe the VHF with GPS is in my future.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                      I’m not trying to dissuade anyone but fishing has been difficult. Yes we’re getting one or 2 trophy fish, but that’s it, and skunks are not out of the discussion. Water temp is 83+ and storms have released a ton of grass. Today I fished PP with John V, we each caught 1 fish, very nice fish, but just 1. Spent more time cleaning grass than I did fishing, and I never made it to the grass beds because of winds. Hopefully have better news soon, but right now it’s poor.
                      With calm seas and minimal amounts of floating grass clumps, that spot can be very productive. I fished there twice this week and fought grass and winds both times. I trolled for 4 hours on Mon morning (9 to 1) and got 4 small fish and one nice red. Today I launched in the dark with Big Mike. We had stronger winds, heavier seas, and encountered lots of floating grass. Trolling becomes challenging and tiresome when your lures get clogged in a minute or less. In 3.5 hours of fishing there (5:45 to 9:15), I caught two fish today -- 16" and 21" specks (neither in the spots I usually fish there). Mike and I suspected that today would be tough fishing, but since I was already in the area, I went ahead and gave it a shot. With today's wind forecast, I would not have chosen to drive down and back in the same day.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

This thread is so funny. I too was thinking for driving down to Piney Point ramp is the weather is decent. If I do not go then I will find a place to do some kayak crabbing up north.
                        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE
                        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

My limited contribution to this thread, I fished PP Sunday, for the first time in a few weeks. Got to introduce myself to Ron. Ron apparently had a solid day there, my buddy and I didn't. We fished from 600-1030, goose egg for me and some perch for my buddy. I did have some strikes and bites out of my soft plastics though. I fished later that afternoon and the next day with better luck. Schoolies, perch, and too many lizard fish. I was attempting to fish there this evening, but the threat of storms sent me home. We're slated to get some weather tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully someone can provide a better update before Sunday.
                          Tight lines
                          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Well, with all this weather I have decided I'm not making the trip to St. Mary's this weekend. I'll be surprised if I even end up fishing locally... seems there's a ~50% chance of rain or storms for just about the whole weekend. If I do fish anywhere it'll be a quick low-effort trip.
                            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Working...
                            X