Magothy River Chain Pickeral, Saturday, Aug 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy River Chain Pickeral, Saturday, Aug 21

Neighbors recently told me a snakehead had been caught in Spriggs Pond, a tributary of the Magothy that abuts my neighborhood. I went out yesterday and spent an hour throwing a variety of lures around the reeds and docks to no avail. On the way back to the launch I trolled a 3/8 oz chatterbait on a $14.99 Shakespeare rod with 6 lb test that I just bought at Dicks. This 20” chain pickeral hit the lure right at the mouth of the pond and gave a quick, but feisty, fight. Water temp was 84 degrees so I don’t think this fish had as much energy as it will in a month or two when the water/weather changes.
    Al
    9F8003E6-B898-49A8-B424-ECFB70872076.jpg
    96C753E4-3C59-4ACF-93C1-919DEA7DDD6A.jpg

Nice fish. I’ll leave my thoughts about your rod selection to myself.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for the Magothy report. Good to here of the pickerel bite. How is the SAV this year?

Comment

I went out as well Saturday morning and caught this snakehead up river past Cockey Creek. Caught a few schoolie stripers too.318869A9-FADE-4441-B2B6-0B20F28C604A.jpg
        Last edited by Jason Remines; 08-23-2021, 03:03 PM.
        2021 Old Town Bigwater 132 PDL
        2015 Jackson Big Tuna YakAttack Edition
        2019 Jackson Cruise 10

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Nice fish. I’ll leave my thoughts about your rod selection to myself.
          Haha, if it's the rod I think it is, the Dock Runner (made by Shakespeare under the Ugly Stik name and sold as a combo for $15) they are actually decent little rods. Basically a 3 foot long medium light Ugly Stik. The reels they come with are trash - I upgraded the reel immediately - but the rods are fun. I keep one in my truck along with a small Plano box of essential tackle for unplanned/unexpected fishing trips. The short little rod is also good for jigging underneath docks for perch.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
          X