Pax River - Benedict to Solomons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pax River - Benedict to Solomons

I was boating with a friend two weeks ago and he took me out on the Patuxent. We launched near Benedict and traveled to Solomons Island and back. There were some beautiful spots that looked like they would be good fishing spots, but I don't see people posting about fishing this area.

Does anyone have any experience in the lower Pax?

I fish the lower Patuxent. Above Pt Patience I consider it a primarily striper, perch, spot river. Occasionally a red drum or trout makes it up into that stretch, but they’re more of a welcome surprise than expectation. When I do fish it I go out of Clark’s Landing (parking stinks but you can park along the edge of the rugby field if the 5 spots gone at ramp). As fall approaches the stripers will move into the creek there. You can also access the river at the mega ramp under the route 4 bridge ($5 I think), but I never fish there and guys who do that I know of are bottom fishing. If you have Access to the air station you can launch out near the old lighthouse which opens up just about any species the bay has to offer.

Personally, if you’ve driven all the way down here I’d keep going to the Potomac or PLO, you can catch what’s in the Pax much closer to home.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I catfish Up river from the Benedict Launch...and I have bottom fished around Golden Beach back in the day for big croakers...but like Big Mike posts...better fishing for our preferred inshore species elsewhere...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks Mike and Ron. I remember as a child in the 70's we used to go fishing for bluefish at the pier at Seven Gables and then a few years later the pier at Town Creek Marina opened up (both of which were within sight of the Rt 4 bridge). I recall catching a 12 lb bluefish from that pier and almost being pulled into the water while my Aunt was holding onto my belt for dear life. It brought back a lot of memories seeing that area from the water.

Comment

In the mid 70s a 12# bluefish was "a schoolie"...12# Grey trout were plentiful...3-4# horse croakers were plentiful as were big flounder...It was the heyday of the Bay...from Norfolk all the way to Baltimore and beyond...those days are long gone...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-25-2021, 05:12 PM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
          X