Southern Maryland report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Maryland report

Launched from the Upper St Mary's Sunday at Great Mills. DO NOT recommend, four major portages. Did however, catch some rockfish and perch. Breaking fish in the upper reaches on a falling tide. Largest two (21.5 & 20.5) in 2-3 fow. Largest had bad sores. Went out yesterday evening and got a slam. Rock, perch, and a 10" spec! Again, lots of bait spotted. Local buddy got a 22.5" red on the Pax Tuesday on a bottle spin.Screenshot_20210823-202828_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210823-213525_Gallery.jpg
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Nice variety of fish. Thanks for the report and non-launch recommendation.

Comment

Good to know the Great Mills spot is not a good place to launch.... my wife and I really enjoy the paddle down MacIntosh Run from the winery to Leonardtown Wharf and I thought the paddle down St. Mary's River from Great Mills could be a similar, fun option for us but I guess not. From what you could tell, was the water particularly low or are those portages always part of the deal?
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I believe Pax Adventure Center or perhaps some other outfit maintains McIntosh Run due to kayak rentals. Low water isn't an issue at Grsat Mills, it's the downed trees. The first major portage is just down river of the bridge that crosses Rt. 5IMG_20210822_133352_213.jpg
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

I couldn't really take more pictures Sunday, as it really started raining terribly right after taking the above picture. It cleared up by the time we got to open water.
          Tight lines
          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
            I believe Pax Adventure Center or perhaps some other outfit maintains McIntosh Run due to kayak rentals. Low water isn't an issue at Grsat Mills, it's the downed trees. The first major portage is just down river of the bridge that crosses Rt. 5[ATTACH=CONFIG]27942[/ATTACH]
            Oh dang I didn't even consider fallen trees..... That's a shame.

It looks like the stretch from Great Mills to St. Mary's City is actually a "water trail" owned(?) by the county https://www.visitstmarysmd.com/thing.../water-trails/ I wonder if we could get in contact with them and see if they could send a crew out to clean up the downed trees.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
            X