energetic striper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• energetic striper

I watched the wind and rain forecasts all day yesterday and thought I could get out for a short window this morning. I launched at 7:30 this morning into a sheltered area on the Severn. I need not have worried as there was virtually no wind through 10:00 when I finished. Low tide was predicted for 8:49 am, but with the impending storm, that was totally irrelevant. At 7:30, the water level was already higher than a typical high tide and was coming in steadily. With water piled up along edges, I caught perch in areas where they are not normally found and ended up with 30 of them in 2.5 hours.

Just before returning to the launch, I ventured a bit farther away and made a few casts to rocks that are normally exposed (today they were submerged). I caught a perch on one cast, then had a tremendous bite on my 6' light power rod with a small spinner. The fish acted like a powerful redfish as it tore from right to left for 100 ft in just a few seconds and began pulling my kayak. I recall similar experiences last fall as the stripers were fattening up in advance of the oncoming winter. To get that same "sleigh-ride" experience on Sept 1 was an unexpected bonus. After a fight of several minutes during which I could not tell what type of fish I had on the line, I landed the fish -- a 21" striper. It seems like stripers in that size range pull harder in the fall than in the summer.

I don't know what type of lasting impact today's storms will have on localized or regional fishing. Certainly salinity will be lowered, and the water clarity will be compromised. Further, it is likely that various grasses, leaves, Phragmites stalks, and other debris will be moved onto the water surface. I hope that conditions soon return to a level that allows good fishing as we move into the fall.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That's awesome John. I can confirm that the Severn rockfish are definitely feisty right now. When I went out on Saturday and caught several schoolies in the 17-19 inch range I was consistently surprised every single time I got a fish to the boat that it wasn't 8-10" larger based on the fight they put up.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Wow, I was thi thinking on the same thing on a 21" I caught as well. I started much later around 5pm out of Solley. I trolled my all my usual spots with hits but no takers. Went to some further spots again with hits on both my whopper and my swim bait but nothing hooked up. I trolled back getting multiple hits with just my tail being bit off and the top water getting knocked around. I'm guessing small blues. As 8pm approached I started hooking up 12" was average. I was coming up on the boat ramp and decided to take one more pas at area I have been doubled up the last few times out. I tightened my drag up pretty tight not to lose any more fish that might hit. When I got to the promise land the swim bait hooked on. Drag stated peeling and I really thought I had a ray. Once I was able to start pulling him in he came up to the surface. I knew I had my pb stripper of the year. A good fight pulling and dragging me around. The pulling this guy was doing was a lot more then expected. Im glad I stuck it out for that last run. Not sure what tomorrow morning is looking like but might get back out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a beauty. I have been having fun at Solley's and I have also thought the same thing...."this is the big one" and then I get him and he is 18" at most. I still have not caught anything over 18" there, but I am glad to know that there are some bigger ones there and I think I may know the area near the launch that you are talking about :--).

Comment

One of the truisms of light tackle kayak fishing is that our catches always are always larger on our lines than they are on our Hawg Troughs.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

They absolutely fight harder in the fall than the summer. I believe its because they are less stressed by the cooler waters, and in general better shape. Has anyone been out to see how the rivers look this morning?
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
            X