Blues or Mack at Mouth of Severn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues or Mack at Mouth of Severn?

I am planning to fish the mouth of the Severn tomorrow. Has anyone come across any blues or spanish mackerel in that area? I don't know if this is a dumb question .... definitely not sure if the mack come up as far as the Severn.

One day when I was a teenager, so probably early 80's....my dad and I were fishing from the 450 drawbridge and it started to rain pretty hard and most people left. We were casting dual bucktails and the blues came in and we had one of the best days of fishing I have ever had.

The reason I ask is that I am intrigued by the G-Eye Rain Jig and am wondering if it is worth attempting to fish with it tomorrow?

As always, any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

One day when I was a teenager, so probably early 80's....my dad and I were fishing from the 450 drawbridge and it started to rain pretty hard and most people left. We were casting dual bucktails and the blues came in and we had one of the best days of fishing I have ever had. Its funny how I don't mind the rain when I am catching fish :--)

Tight lines

Corrections:

1. I think the lure is called a Rain Minnow (I was watching a video on Anglers site

2. Sorry for the duplicative story about fishing with my dad

Comment

The macks have been making their way up to the Bay Bridge in recent years, and I've heard occasional reports of folks catching them around the mouth of the Severn. I'm hearing the bite has been very sporadic in the last week though, and the muddy water making its way down the Bay will probably be the end of the mack bite in Maryland this year.
      - Cliff

Hobie Compass
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Rob,

I tried a week ago and didn’t have any luck for blues or Spanish mackerel. However, around this time in 2019 was when they were showing up more frequently in the Severn river area. Once the water clears up again it’s as good a time as ever to try. The ones I’ve caught there were not visible on the surface. I trolled paddle tails and spoons to catch them around different contours.
        J

Comment

I'm bringing one rod rigged up with some metal (Kastmaster spoon and a wire leader) on the off chance we come across some working birds or find a school, but I don't plan to actively spend time fishing for them. Since they are so sporadic, move so quickly, and you need to fish very fast to catch them, I believe chasing them in a kayak is somewhat of a fool's errand... you pretty much have to be at the right place at the right time and luck into them I think. Though I would be happy if someone could suggest otherwise... Spanish mackerel are at the very top of my new-species-I-want-to-catch list, with cutlassfish in a close second.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Last Tuesday, I trolled out of Back Creek, downstream on thet Severn most of the way to Lake Ogleton, then across the river mouth to Greenbury Point and in the cove near the Naval Station. In covering about 8 miles, I had only 2 bites (undersized stripers). The water was quite calm that day, but still I saw very little bird activity or schools of bait.

On several days this past week, I trolled in the main Severn from upstream of the Rt 50 bridge to the Weems Creek region. The bite is almost nonexistent at the moment in that area.

I hope you have better luck than I did, but would be surprised if you found many fish at the Severn mouth now. In particular, blues and mackerel will be tough to find.

I have not caught a bluefish in the Severn this year. The only Spanish mackerel I have caught in the past three years have been well south of the Choptank River. The G-Eye Jigs rain minnow is a good lure for Spanish, but you will get tired casting it. Typically, I do not started casting a metal lure until I see working birds and Spanish mackerel leaping from the water amongst them. If you do see them, cast the lure way out and wind it back in as fast as you can turn the handle. I cannot paddle my kayak fast enough to troll for Spanish mackerel -- they like speeds over 5 mph.
            Last edited by J.A. Veil; 09-03-2021, 12:49 PM.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Saw a lot of mackerel a couple years ago at Cedar Point. Caught a few. Almost an 8 mile paddle one way to get there so it eats into fishing time but the troll to get there along the south shore of the Pax was consistently productive for rockfish and occasional bluefish.

I live down in the low country now. Charleston SC. Most of the things I thought about catching mackerel i.e. using metal, cracking fast, trolling fast, relatively clear water etc. Not necessary here. Water visibility is typically measured in inches. I had some banner days with many spanish mackerel caught in the marsh up against the grass and in creeks on paddle tails when targeting trout and redfish. Although if I had to choose where to fish along the coast, you guys have a world class fishery up there and I would take it any day over down here. Except you can fish comfortably and productively here year round with plenty of open spaces and no boat traffic. Although porpoise and sharks are all over the place. This pic was from last Sunday.
              IMG_20210912_100006.jpgdol.jpgIMG_20210801_062227.jpgIMG_20210710_090147 (1).jpg
              Last edited by Fishtank; 09-16-2021, 09:14 PM.
              Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
              Predator 13

Comment

Working...
              X