Mixed bag in Solomon's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed bag in Solomon's

Launched from the boat ramp at sunrise this morning*, and headed to an area that Fishtank (aka Tim) put me on to a few years back. In the past it has thrown up everything from keeper rockfish to pufferfish, so I always look forward to getting out there. Visibility was about 4ft, which is better than I was expecting. I was hoping for some topwater action but other than some small stuff here and there, there wasn't a lot up top. But a 4" gulp minnow on a 3/8oz jig head found a mixed bag of fish: a few small rocks, few medium WP, handful of 14" - 16" drum, a 15" flounder (my biggest, and first lure-caught, flounder!) and a bunch of lizard fish. So nothing huge, but good entertainment for a couple of hours. Things dried up by about 10am once the sun was up high and I was off the water by 11:30 or so.

*I lucked out on traffic. Minutes after launching, I saw bridge traffic come to a total standstill because of a bad accident on the St. Mary's side. If I'd have been 15 mins later out the door this morning, I would have been stuck in that traffic!

Everyday on the Solomon’s bridge is an adventure. Sounds like a great day to me, even if nothing huge. We like the variety down here.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Everyday on the Solomon’s bridge is an adventure.
      Indeed so, whether driving over it or fishing under it!

I almost considered throwing a micro-jig in front of some needlefish I saw swimming around, just so I could add one of those to the mix today! I've caught all the usual suspects down there - rockfish, wp, blues, speckled trout, drum, cnr, catfish, flounder and spot, plus puffer and lizard fish. Now just waiting on croaker and mackerel. I saw Tim pull a toadfish out of there one time too, but I'm not eager to equal that feat... The variety really is great though! I'm sure if I bottom-fished more often I'd get into other 'exotic' visitors too.

Comment

Working...
      X