Decent Severn bite for a change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Severn bite for a change

I fish often in the Severn and those tidal creeks and ponds that I can reach easily from a public launch point. During August, I made 16 trips in the Severn system, and during September, I made 11 more Severn trips. During those trips, I cast lures in 12 different Severn tributaries and usually trolled as I paddled between tributaries. For the most part, fishing has been tough in the Severn this summer for me. I always found perch when I targeted them, but had to work much harder this year than last year to find some. I caught lots of summer pickerel and stripers in the Severn in 2020, but far fewer this year. Last year I caught a few puppy drum and specks in the Severn -- none this year.

This morning I took advantage of calm seas to paddle farther upstream than I usually go to try out a different creek. My theory was that because this spot was farther away from any public launch point, it would probably experience less fishing pressure. I don't know if my theory is correct, but I saw no other anglers today, and did catch more fish than usual. I caught a Severn Slam (striper, white perch, pickerel) in the first 30 mins, to make the long paddle worthwhile. In two hours in that creek, I caught 3 pickerel to 21", 9 perch to 11", and 11 stripers to 16" all on light spinning tackle. I stopped at a tidal pond on my way back to the launch and caught another 4 perch and one striper.

I remain baffled by the lack of any bites while trolling. I trolled in the main river for nearly 1.5 hours and had no bites at all, despite trolling through areas that should have produced bites. While fishing close to launch points is easy and time-saving, many other anglers follow the same practice. For example, Weems gets very heavy fishing pressure from kayakers, a few boats, and shoreline fishermen who typically keep all the fish they catch. My catches in Weems this year have been noticeably less than usual. If you have the time, and the wind/wave conditions allow it, don't hesitate to go exploring. You may find some better fishing spots.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 09-27-2021, 01:54 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I had much the same experience as John, but on the Magothy today. After a week in the OBX I hoped to come back to cooler water and some striper action. I went out this morning to flat water and sunny skies so the conditions were nice. Unfortunately, the spots that usually produce rockfish action for me by this time of the year yielded nothing. The water temp was 75 and I didn’t mark any fish. I cut my fishing off after 2 hours of trolling and casting. I’ll try my local tributaries later this week for pickeral and catfish.

Comment

Glad to hear a good report coming from the Severn. I'm planning to fish there Wednesday evening after work. Since I'll be limited on time I don't think I'll be able to venture too far like you did, but I am planning to fish a part of the river I have never fished before that looks like it should hold fish - my friend did well in this spot recently while fishing from a boat. I'll follow up in this thread after my trip.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

How has the abundance of bait been in the rivers so far this year? I haven't gotten out much, but I've found the quality of the my striper fishing in the creeks has always been tied to the presence of bait.
        - Cliff

Hobie Compass
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Beard View Post
          How has the abundance of bait been in the rivers so far this year? I haven't gotten out much, but I've found the quality of the my striper fishing in the creeks has always been tied to the presence of bait.
          There has been plenty of bait in the main river for much of the summer as evidenced by numerous little swirling schools of small menhaden (peanut bunker). In late August bait could be found throughout the larger creeks like Weems. But by early Sept, the bait had left the creeks (several weeks earlier than usual). I did not notice bait schools today or on other recent trips.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I wonder if all the rain we've gotten this month is what pushed them out early.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Thanks for the report. Caught a 27" and 19" rockfish in the Severn last week. Bite was hot then!
              Oldtown Sportsman 120 PDL

Comment

Originally posted by jjyak View Post
                Thanks for the report. Caught a 27" and 19" rockfish in the Severn last week. Bite was hot then!

You did very well on those fish. I have not seen larger stripers in the Severn for the past month. I hope you can find those bigger fish again.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Just like we fret over the arrival of perch in the tributaries in the spring, we worry about missing the striper bite in the fall. Our Bay water temps are still in the 70s. The water was 71 degrees in Annapolis yesterday and is forecast to be the same today. Next month, that average temperature will drop 5 degrees or more to the mid 60s. There's a reason October is called "Rocktober" here. Falling water temperatures and shorter days have a lot to do with it. I bet the kayak striper bite will be more consistent then.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good report John. That is strange that you didn't get any fish while trolling. It's not like you haven't fished these areas before. You know what is normal and what isn't normal. Very cool to catch some pickerel.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Haven't been down that way in a few weeks - hoping to find some pickerel on my next trip to add to the grand total of one I've boated so far this year.

Comment

Severn was a total dud for me tonight. I fished from ~4:15 to 7:15 pm. I trolled along several shoals, ledges, oyster beds, bridge pilings, and cast to a few docks and shoreline cover. I picked up two very small rockfish trolling in places I would not have expected to catch them, and I did manage to get a 7 pound channel catfish under a dock. That was easily the catch of the night and put up a very strong fight on my 6' light power spinning rod. There were TONS of peanut bunker inside Weems Creek and in a few isolated pockets in the main river, but no game fish to be found.
                        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
                          Severn was a total dud for me tonight. I fished from ~4:15 to 7:15 pm. I trolled along several shoals, ledges, oyster beds, bridge pilings, and cast to a few docks and shoreline cover. I picked up two very small rockfish trolling in places I would not have expected to catch them, and I did manage to get a 7 pound channel catfish under a dock. That was easily the catch of the night and put up a very strong fight on my 6' light power spinning rod. There were TONS of peanut bunker inside Weems Creek and in a few isolated pockets in the main river, but no game fish to be found.
                          Very slow night for me too. Fished 5pm-6:45 and only had one keeper at 20". saw some topwater action on my way back to Jonas Green but nothing on the troll. Good to see the water temps dropping tho.
                          Oldtown Sportsman 120 PDL

Comment

I fished in two different Severn tidal ponds on Tues morning (pond A - 3 perch and 1 small striper; pond B - no bites). I visited a third Severn pond on Wed am and worked hard to catch 4 perch and 1 small striper. And I had no bites while trolling from launch spots to each of the ponds. These results are not what I expected for early fall -- usually a productive time.

For the time being, I am crossing to the Eastern shore to have a better shot at stripers.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by jjyak View Post
                              Very slow night for me too. Fished 5pm-6:45 and only had one keeper at 20". saw some topwater action on my way back to Jonas Green but nothing on the troll. Good to see the water temps dropping tho.
                              I'm curious if you headed to the mouth of the river where you found fish? Im thinking the fish haven't really begun to move up the rivers to intercept baitfish yet.
                              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Working...
                              X