Slower Lower Slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower Lower Slam

I had a banner day at Slower Lower today. I launched around 6:20 am to a low tide and by 8am I not only had a Slower Lower Slam (rockfish, red drum, speckled trout) but I had 6 different species in the boat. Water temperature barely reached 73°F all day.

I tried topwater at first light to no avail so I quickly switched to my new favorite fishing method - shallow water trolling. I trolled 3" Zman Minnowz in electric chicken and 3" Zman Slim Swimz in space guppy on 1/8 oz jigheads for the remainder of the day. I quickly figured out that the fish were keyed in on the edges of weed beds immediately adjacent to dropoffs where the depth went from 2-3 feet to 10+. The first fish on the day was this chunky 13" speck. The picture almost does it justice but this thing was fat. I could clearly see the outlines of baitfish in its stomach:

Not long after that I landed this chunky 17” red drum:

After many passes over this spot (and several fish in the boat) the bite kind of died off so I went in search of another weedy ledge and boy did I find one. There was about a 30-yard stretch of water where on every pass I made both of my rods would go down at the same time. The majority of these fish were 15-18” rockfish which put up a fun fight on my 6’0” light- and 6’6” medium-powered rods:

I spent the better part of an hour catching rockfish two at a time at this location. Among them was this nice 22” rockfish, this ended up being the biggest one of the day:

Speaking of great fights… just as my lures went over the edge, the drag on my 6’0” light rod started absolutely screaming. As I reached for the rod my other rod went down too. The first fish seemed bigger so I focused my attention there… after nearly 10 minutes of gaining a little line, losing twice as much line when the fish ran, and trying to keep forward momentum so as not to lose the 2nd fish, I landed this nice 22” red drum, my second largest ever. It had an iridescent blue tail and 5 spots on one side, 1 spot on the other:

Fighting this fish on a light-powered rod while my other rod was bouncing in the holder was so chaotic in the most fun way possible. Easily the highlight of the trip. I did land the 2nd fish too, it was an average-sized rockfish. I’m not sure if it was the chaotic fight or if the fish simply moved on but the bite completely ceased at this spot after landing that drum.

I found a third weedy dropoff and again, right on cue, both my rods went down at the same time. This spot was not quite as consistent as the previous one, but I did manage to land several rockfish and some pretty little speckled trout:

By now it was 1 pm and I had been trolling for nearly 7 hours and my knees were aching so I called it a day. And what a fun day it was. This could very well be my best fishing day of 2021 – it was certainly the most entertaining. I finished the day with 26 rockfish, 4 speckled trout, 3 red drum, 2 white perch, 1 lizardfish, and 1 spot.
    Last edited by dsaavedra; 10-02-2021, 09:23 PM.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Wow, Dave. Congratulations!!!!!! That certainly sounds like a banner day of fishing.

Comment

Thanks for the great report-sounds like I need to get out there today!
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Congratulations. You did have an excellent day.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dave great report, only one lie. This was the Susquehanna, not slower lower.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Man, what a day. Love all the pics. That's one heck of a red.

Comment

Thanks guys, it was a very fun day. I'd be out there again today if I could. And tomorrow... and the next day...

Mike, good catch - not sure how I screwed up the title that bad
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
              X